Thread: Unable to perform STC...

Login to Give a bone

Default Unable to perform STC...

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the following issue. Within the last few months we've seen an increase in the number of users experiencing problems with STC. The one common denominator we’ve identified is that the issue appears to be limited to users working simultaneously in Revit 2010 (Sept 09 build) and AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Typically, a user will receive one of the following error messages in order:

1) File [central filename] is being accessed by someone else and is not available. Click Cancel to stop the current operation and try again later or wait for the file to become available.

2) The file you are attempting to synchronize with the central file is not compatible with the central file.

3) File not saved.

4) Alternately, if the user is working in AutoCAD or another Windows application, they will no longer be able to access network drives and receiving the following: [network drive] is not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Typically the user is able to resolve the issue by closing all applications and opening Revit after 5-10 mins and re-attempting a STC, on other occasions they have to perform a full system restart. No changes have been made to our networking environment recently and all users' systems have had their nic drivers updated to the latest release. Initially I applied the following registry key that addresses item #4 above, however, it appears to have no effect.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagedPoolSize = 0xffffffff

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unable to perform STC...

Quote Originally Posted by jpeter View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has encountered the following issue. Within the last few months we've seen an increase in the number of users experiencing problems with STC. The one common denominator we’ve identified is that the issue appears to be limited to users working simultaneously in Revit 2010 (Sept 09 build) and AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Typically, a user will receive one of the following error messages in order:

1) File [central filename] is being accessed by someone else and is not available. Click Cancel to stop the current operation and try again later or wait for the file to become available.

2) The file you are attempting to synchronize with the central file is not compatible with the central file.

3) File not saved.

4) Alternately, if the user is working in AutoCAD or another Windows application, they will no longer be able to access network drives and receiving the following: [network drive] is not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Typically the user is able to resolve the issue by closing all applications and opening Revit after 5-10 mins and re-attempting a STC, on other occasions they have to perform a full system restart. No changes have been made to our networking environment recently and all users' systems have had their nic drivers updated to the latest release. Initially I applied the following registry key that addresses item #4 above, however, it appears to have no effect.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagedPoolSize = 0xffffffff

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Any chance you are using 32 bit Windows and the 3GB switch? Perhaps with a graphics card with a ton of RAM (that being anything over about 256M in 32 bit Windows
    I have seen problems with the graphics before the NIC, but the NIC also needs to allocate some of the Kernel Virtual Address space, so a full 3GB to applications, and thus only 1Gb allocated to the Kernel, could cause some network related grief. The poor answer being to tweak the virtual address space using /userva, and the better answer being Windows 7 x64.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Yes, we are. What's odd is that it hasn't been an issue until recently.

I'll have to tweak /userva per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

Thanks for the quick reply.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpeter View Post
    Yes, we are. What's odd is that it hasn't been an issue until recently.

I'll have to tweak /userva per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I wonder if a recent driver update changed things. I'll be curious to hear if a WAG (wild a** guess) turns out right!?

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Actually it makes perfect sense. We've also encountered issues in the past with BoxxTech systems using Tyan Thunder K8WE mb's and nVidia chipsets where the video memory mapping causes problems with the /3GB enabled.

Thanks again.