Thread: Splitting a Model

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Splitting a Model

RAC 2010

What is the best practice method for splitting up a large model? Our model is 665 MB and has 2 linked Revit files (132 MB & and 2 linked Acad files). It is not worksetted (because it is all building shell). It currently crashes and takes 20 minutes or more to STC. It has been purged and it is compacted at every STC. 2 to 3 people currently work on it ievery day. It is mostly families and very little line work, or building elements.

I was thinking that I could break up the model into building elevation, purge the heck out of them and then link them back together in a new central file. Then each person could only work on that linked file and the families for that area only reside in that file making the file smaller and easier to work with. It is the breaking them up without loosing info that i am the most nervous about and if they will link back together nicely.

I am doing a test of the process. So far this is what I've done, am I on the right track?

1. Open current central file from the application menu and check the "Detach from Central" button.

2. Save the new file in a different directory with a different name. Making it a new central file.

3. Close the file.

4. Open the newly created file and make a copy of it with a new name, e.g. elevation south. delete part of model that isn't south. save and close. Do I make it a local file???

5. Repeat for all areas of the building.

6. Go back to the central file in step one and erase everything in them link all the new files into it?

I'm afraid of creating circular references or doesn't that happen with revit?

what am I missing or have wrong?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splitting a Model

Quote Originally Posted by WYSIWYG-BIM View Post
    It currently crashes and takes 20 minutes or more to STC. It has been purged and it is compacted at every STC. 2 to 3 people currently work on it every day.
    Part of why it may take 20min to STC may be because you are compacting every time. My understanding is that when you compact the file it sends the entire 665MB over your network and writes it to the file. Where as a normal STC only send your changes. We typically only compact on Friday before we go home.

One thing that has helped our save times is reloading latest before saving to central. It may not speed it up for that person but it prevents others form getting that lock warning when they try and do stuff during your save.

I am doing a test of the process. So far this is what I've done, am I on the right track?

1. Open current central file from the application menu and check the "Detach from Central" button.

2. Save the new file in a different directory with a different name. Making it a new central file.
    You don't need to put it in a different directory as long as it has a different name but if this makes you more comfortable that's fine

3. Close the file.

4. Open the newly created file and make a copy of it with a new name, e.g. elevation south. delete part of model that isn't south. save and close. Do I make it a local file???
    NO! make it a central file. In options check make this a central file.

5. Repeat for all areas of the building.

6. Go back to the central file in step one and erase everything in them link all the new files into it?

I'm afraid of creating circular references or doesn't that happen with revit?

what am I missing or have wrong?

Thanks!
    Sounds good. How much RAM do you have? 665MB is impressive. The most we've gotten to is 360MB