See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Glulam Laminations

Login to Give a bone

Smile Glulam Laminations

I can't seem to get the array for the laminations down correctly in the Structural Framing Glulam family.

I wanted them just to be shown as symbolic lines only (cut and projection) for details/elevations.

I began with drawing a symbolic line at the top of the beam in the left elevation view, did an array with the last being aligned to the bottom of the beam.

If I flex the family, no matter what I do, I get constraints not satisfied. Here's the key points:

1. Align and lock first line to top of beam (reference line).
    2. Array line with last line aligned and locked to bottom of beam (reference line).
    3. Assign 'Laminations' parameter to the array.
    4. Align and lock first line to left and right side of beams (reference lines).

If I get any interest in this, I'll remake the family and attach it... I'd appreciate any help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Glulam Laminations

I've been working on this - seems like all day.

Go to this thread on arrays and very carefully read the post by Twiceroadsfool
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...arameter+group

1. Arrays destroy lock toggles - I have no idea why. Groups have limited usefulness.
    2. Nested families are best to allow length parameters in an array, BUT you have to link the parameter in the nested family to the parameter in the main family. Click properties on the nested family, and there is a little rectangular button on the right of the parameter that allows you to link it.
    3. Flex after every stinking little thing you do.
    4. Always draw reference planes first, lock parameters to those, not the models.

I have attached my own glulam beam I've been working on - it is far from perfect, but hey, the laminations work (in section). It has other peculiarities - it's line based instead of the crazy can't-control-the-snaps standard beam, plus I used model lines instead of symbolic so things will show on a sloped roof. For a simple 2-D example look at the glulam detail component in the stock library.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Glulam Laminations

Etornberg, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I like your family but it's just the same as a true Revit beam family. I've tried everything in the book to make this work and it's only wasted my time. =)

Submitting to the wishlist as soon as this is posted.