Thread: Nominal Cut Lumber VS Heavy Timber Detail Components

Login to Give a bone

Default Nominal Cut Lumber VS Heavy Timber Detail Components

I was thinking about combining these two detail components together. They have an overlap in sizes from 4x4 to 6x6.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't combined these two detail components into one family?

I can see keeping them separate for model components (because they have different materials) but for detail components...? Is there something I might not be thinking of?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nominal Cut Lumber VS Heavy Timber Detail Components

Quote Originally Posted by Rodan2000 View Post
    I was thinking about combining these two detail components together. They have an overlap in sizes from 4x4 to 6x6.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't combined these two detail components into one family?

I can see keeping them separate for model components (because they have different materials) but for detail components...? Is there something I might not be thinking of?
    YES! There is a reason.

Dimensional lumber is for 2x and 4x material and are not only graded differently than Timber but the sizes are also slightly different. 2x and 4x material have depths of 3-1/2, 5-1/2 then switches to quarter inch at 2x8 and 4x8 which are 7-1/4" deep. Timber members are 1/2" for all sections i.e., 5-1/2", 7-1/2", 9-1/2", 11-1/2", etc. This is particularly important when you are trying to flush frame a 6x12 (11-1/2" deep) in the same plane as a floor consisting of 2x12s (11-1/4" deep).

Regarding detail components, if you are referring to using Simpson hardware, the models are different for Timber connectors, Dimensional lumber connectors, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nominal Cut Lumber VS Heavy Timber Detail Components

Thanks, TWAllen. I think you might have missed my question. I'm keeping them separate for model families because of the differences in material/sizes, etc. like you said. The detail component on the other hand, is exactly the same. It is a box with an X in the middle. We don't schedule detail components and it's a pain to load two different families. I see no reason not to join all of the sizes into one easy detail component for 2x, 4x, 6x, etc.