See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit Best Practice - Graphic Legends

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Best Practice - Graphic Legends

Due to the limitations of Revit Legends, a number of techniques have been used to address the need for Graphic Schedules of things like doors, windows, storefronts, casework, etc. Below are three approaches, with some thoughts on strengths and weaknesses of each. Anyone have any other approaches? Or experiences with any of these that should be added?

Thanks!
    Gordon

1: Phase Before: By placing all graphic schedule items in a dedicated phase that occurs before the project phase(s), you can then schedule by current phase only and have accurate schedules. Because the items are on a previous phase they will show up as existing in New Phase/Show Previous and New views, requiring a view crop to manage visibility. They will also schedule if the (tabular) schedule is New Construction and Show Complete (i.e. a full door count, where perhaps you are managing doors to be removed and reused). However, for all new construction only the need for view cropping is the only actual actual issue, as all views Show New only.

2: Phase After: As above, but with the Graphic Schedule "phase" after project phases. This has the added benefit of not showing any of the schedule items in views that are not set to the Graphic Schedule phase, as well as allowing tabular schedules to Show Complete or Previous and New without including Graphic Schedule items.

3: Design Option: A design option is created called Graphic Schedule, with the Default Option being empty. A "Schedule" option then contains all Graphic Schedule items. Because the default option is empty, any view set to Automatic will not show the Graphic Schedule items. Tabular schedules will also not count them unless the option is specifically added. One down side is to work in the graphic schedule you have to both open the appropriate view and activate the appropriate option.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Best Practice - Graphic Legends

For a graphic Door legend I would look at Tools4Revit. They have tool called dynamic legend that can be extremely useful.

www.tools4revit.com

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you set up Phase Before correctly, it wont affect the project at all. Not in schedules, not in QTO, not in views. Thats what we use. All views centered around the origin, regardless of the project. It doesnt matter, since they never exist together.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    If you set up Phase Before correctly, it wont affect the project at all. Not in schedules, not in QTO, not in views. Thats what we use. All views centered around the origin, regardless of the project. It doesnt matter, since they never exist together.
    Aaron,
    how do you set up your before phase to not show up with Show Complete in a view set to a later phase? The only thing I ever got to work was to put the schedule stuff off to the side and crop.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

We keep Two Annotation Phases, for modeling objects. That way if we need to show something in a LEGEND as existing, we model it in Annot1 and set the view to Annot2.

We also have an "AnnotDemo" phase, where everything gets demolished.

PRACTICING Architecture in Revit, demo isnt a phase. But if you use an AnnotDemo phase BEFORE Existing, NOTHING exists when you do "Show Complete" at any phase in your project.

Plus- before anyone says this is too much work to set up- we keep one specific 3D view: Its in the Annot Demo phase, and its set to Show Previous and Demo. You go in the view. Anything NOT RED, you demo-tool. End of story. I check the view like... Once every week. Takes 2 minutes.

FWIW, all of the following takes place in our Previous Phase Annotations:

Partition Schedules (live)
    Door Types
    Frame Types
    Window Types
    Storefront Types (model groups)
    Graphical Legends: Floor plan, RCP, Demo, Code Summary Plan
    Axon's of construction details with modeled parts
    Any modeled element we have to detail that may move in the plans (model grouped)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Aaron,

As usual. Thats great technique. I am trying to understand the 3 phases and scratching my head on understanding Annot1, Annot2, and AnnotDemo phases.

We have Legend phase only (before existing) where we place walls, doors, windows etc. But your technique seems very good and would resolve the issues we are having regarding views setings to include/exlude legend components.

Will you be able to shade more light on the 3 phases and how you use them? (a blank RVT file with some dummy components would help to understand). I assume you will have them as part of the Revit tempalte so every project starts with these 3 phase pre-defined.

Thanks in anticipaiton.

regards

Login to Give a bone

Not only do the templates have the three phases predefined, they have a lot of stuff already in there.

Graphical legends that appear on RCP's, Plans, Elevations, etc. Are all done this way. Door Types and Frame Types are done this way. Partition types are done this way, for our General Information Sheet.

I dont have a sample to upload offhand (it belongs to the company, but i have an older outdated one circal 2009 from when i worked at home. Better yet, go to www.studiosyracuse.com and download the entire Revit template. Its really arcane and out of date, but i *think* this is set up in there already. Ill check tonight.

But the phases are simple:

Annot1
    Annot2
    AnnotDemo

There is only 2 "annot" phases, in case in a LEGEND you need to show something as existing. Then it gets "created' in Annot1 and the view is set to Annot2:Show previous and new.

If a legend needs to show DEMO, it gets created in Annot1, and demolished in Annot2.

If its just supposed to show as New in a legend, its created in Annot2, and demolished in AnnotDemo.

But the project team doesnt even have to know that. All thet have to know is which views to go in to draw the thing, and which view to go in to demolish it.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Aaron,

Thanks a lot for your help. I have downloaded 2009 version from the link you sent me.

Regards

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Not only do the templates have the three phases predefined, they have a lot of stuff already in there.

Graphical legends that appear on RCP's, Plans, Elevations, etc. Are all done this way. Door Types and Frame Types are done this way. Partition types are done this way, for our General Information Sheet.

I dont have a sample to upload offhand (it belongs to the company, but i have an older outdated one circal 2009 from when i worked at home. Better yet, go to www.studiosyracuse.com and download the entire Revit template. Its really arcane and out of date, but i *think* this is set up in there already. Ill check tonight.

But the phases are simple:

Annot1
    Annot2
    AnnotDemo

There is only 2 "annot" phases, in case in a LEGEND you need to show something as existing. Then it gets "created' in Annot1 and the view is set to Annot2:Show previous and new.

If a legend needs to show DEMO, it gets created in Annot1, and demolished in Annot2.

If its just supposed to show as New in a legend, its created in Annot2, and demolished in AnnotDemo.

But the project team doesnt even have to know that. All thet have to know is which views to go in to draw the thing, and which view to go in to demolish it.
    Hi Aaron,

Would you be able to share the template file demonstrating this approach? The link is no longer valid

Thanks!
    Laura