Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Parameters - How much is TOO much?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Project Parameters - How much is TOO much?

I'm currently in the process of creating schedule templates for mechanical equipment and I'm using project parameters to attach information to mechanical equipment as its loaded into the project. At the moment I have upwards of 130 project parameters defined and I still need more to accomplish the automated scheduling. It seems kind of excessive to me, but as I look at our schedules in AutoCAD, there is a BUNCH of stuff being scheduled... MBH, MBH TOTAL, MBH SENSIBLE, EAT (F), LAT (F), ENTERING FLUID TEMP, LEAVING FLUID TEMP.... and so on and so on....

I'm worried that I'm going to be adding TOO much data and that Revit is gonna throw a wobbly and just crash.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance!!
    Matt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project Parameters - How much is TOO much?

We don't use project parameters for scheduling things like mechanical equipment. Since mech equip includes so much variety, we make sure all of our families have their parameters built-in. This way you don't have to have properties like entering air temperature and sensible heating listed for thermostats and other families where they don't apply. Of course, this requires discipline and control to make sure all families in the project are up-to-date with the right parameters, but once you have the protocol in place and a robust library, it should prove to be a better solution.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

So you took the time (a LOT of time) to open each family and add the parameters specific to that piece of equipment? Is that what you're saying??

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    So you took the time (a LOT of time) to open each family and add the parameters specific to that piece of equipment? Is that what you're saying??
    Yep, it's tedious and does take a bit of time. You only have to do it once though and I didn't think the extra time was that crazy, say 10 minutes a family or less.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
    Yep, it's tedious and does take a bit of time. You only have to do it once though and I didn't think the extra time was that crazy, say 10 minutes a family or less.
    But are you doing it to EVERY single family? For example, there are 13 condenser families and I don't know HOW MANY types within them. Are you modifying every single family or just a "typical" condenser? And are you adding any default info once you add the parameters to the families?

This is where I'm getting hung up... is it better to just add the parameters and call it a day or do you also add default info such as temps, voltage info, gpm, hp, vfc, rpm, whatever is required? THAT is going to take a LOT of time (which, granted, I have plenty of, but still....).

Matt

Login to Give a bone

Check out my Thread...
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=113134

we are going to be using Autodesk's Shared Parameter list, as everything is set to the industry standard.

But you should be using Shared Parameters in each family, yes, that means you have to load them into each family. But, in the future when creating a new family, you can just start with a template that already has these parameters loaded in...

But to get them to properly schedule, you should be using Shared Parameters...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We add as much default info as possible because we also like to configure design aids into our families. For instance, our FPTs turn bright red when someone undersizes a unit in their project. Of course, I have created nearly all the custom families for the company, so I try to do it up front instead of having to go backward. However, the families I created before I had a good parameter protocol had to be edited to match my later standard. Also, I try to genericize as many of my families as possible. They can't all be generic but that's the game. Then when my generic family won't fly, I use my custom family template to start my new family. This way all my parameters are already there.

Anyway, my BIM steering committee agrees that we need to be progressive and innovative with our use of Revit, otherwise we stay at the back of the pack, wondering when Autodesk is going to finally get it right. We don't want to wait. So we're doing everything we can think of to streamline the process, be more efficient, reduce errors, etc. We still have a long way to go, but our library is getting to be pretty robust our efficiency has improved signifantly as a result.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you think you guys have spent adding parameters and info to the families? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it may take me when management finally asks, "So, uhhhh... what do you DO all day?"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you think you guys have spent adding parameters and info to the families? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it may take me when management finally asks, "So, uhhhh... what do you DO all day?"
    I can build a fully customizable, intelligent air handing unit in about 2 hours. This includes flexible geometry, nested clearance families, schedulable parameters, duct, pipe and electrical connectors, and whatever other gizmos I need.

The first time I created an AHU it wasn't quite that good... and it took me three days. Anyway, its my job to make all this happen. And nobody asks what I do all day because it is obvious.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Well, we are somewhat new to the game and our method is to add, create and modify families as we need them. As a result, the time gets lost in the shuffle. The comment about making generic families is a good one. I *think* parameters get shared between types, so if you can make one family with several different types that flex that can help.

I've also heard rumors of a utility to mass add parameters to families. It's possible through the API but I don't think there is a tool out yet.
    Last edited by tys90; 2010-02-03 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast