Thread: working b/w constructs

Login to Give a bone

Default working b/w constructs

Working through my first project in pn - understand concepts, trying to apply to reality presents challenges...

have: construct for first floor ext. walls - construct for second floor ext. walls - construct for roof

problem: need to make adjustments to some of the wall contructs based on information from roof constructs - project the walls to roof on the gable end/shorten walls on an eve end based on salt-box roof being shorter to that side.

Looking for best practices suggestions before I get too far in and have to backtrack.

Thanks for the help.
    Doug

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: working b/w constructs

Do you want to project the wall to the roof? If so, hightlight the wall, right click, roof/floor line/ modify roof line and pick auto project and pick the roof element.

Login to Give a bone

I have the project operation figured out when all pieces (walls and roof) are in the same construct (dwg). What I don't understand is how to do it when the pieces are in different constructs... brought roof construct in as xref overlay to the wall construct but could not auto project.

-Doug

Login to Give a bone

I'm using ABS 2007 and it worked fine. I was able to auto project to a mass element, slab and a roof that were in an xref. What version are you on?

Login to Give a bone

Using 2010 - just reopened the project and tried again and it worked (you must have intimidated it!) - but the wall on the eve end does not fill in to the pitch of the roof - the house is a timber frame so I need the eve ends to have a chamfer that matches the roof. It could be a material issue in the wall style?

Anyways, thanks for your help. Don't know why it wasn't working yesterday (a lot like taking your car to the mechanic with the "mystery" noise).

-doug

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can fix any eave issues you have by creating/ modifying a profile. I run 2009 and creating profiles for the handrail extensions, eaves, and what not is a little time consuming, but seeing how it affects the live elevation makes it worth while.