Thread: Different railing layouts on different landings on a multilevel stair

Login to Give a bone

Angry Different railing layouts on different landings on a multilevel stair

Help! I have a 3 level multilevel stair that requires the landing between the 2nd and 3rd floor to have a different railing donfiguration than the landing below it (between levels 1 and 2). Revit does not seem to allow me to create independent rails on each landing because it automatically creates the railing I'm building on both landings. This might be an easy fix, but outside of creating 2 separate stairs, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Different railing layouts on different landings on a multilevel stair

Copy clip the railing sketch. then delete it, then paste align, then edit, then paste align again and edit.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Different railing layouts on different landings on a multilevel stair

Huh? Maybe because its almost Friday, but can you explain more specifically Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I always find it much easier to use curtain walls for my railings when dealing with very complicated situations. Curtain walls are easily edited (editing profiles for shape, etc.) and custom profiles for your mullions or frames (which end up being your handrail/top rail..whatever) are easy enough to create.

Login to Give a bone

Its really not a complicated situation, I want to keep the same rail design, the difference is that the rail stops in the middle of the landing on one landing only since there is a wall there on that landing. An easy issue should have an easy solution or workaround . . .Thanks for the idea, though!

Login to Give a bone

If that's what you are tying to do, then you need to follow Scott's advice;
    create the entire railing (without breaking at the landing as railing systems must be continuous). When its completed, copy it to your clipboard, then edit it so that it only goes as far as your first landing (or where ever the break in the railing is). Finish the sketch, paste the railing that you originally copies into place, and then edit it from the other direction to stop at the landing where you're breaking it. This should give you the railing you are looking for.

Dan Sawyer,
    Intermediate technologist,
    Bevanda Architecture Inc.

Login to Give a bone

I'll try it, but I think I'll end up with the same result because anything I add or delete on the unique landing, ends up showing up on the unbroken landing. If I cut the rail into to 2 parts, one for each landing, both will still show up on both landings.

I tried starting from scratch with the rails and made the unique landing exactly as I want it. I then looked at the other landing and saw that all the changes I made were put there as well. I can't add or delete anything to either landing without it showing up on both.

Maybe I should just create two stairs, but there should be a better way than that . . . any more ideas??

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Basically my suggestion is to copy the railing to the clipboard(Ctrl + C) The paste it on top of itself 2 times, editing each copy as required for your diff. conditions, then delete the original(you can delete this anytime you want).
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

and to my opinion this should work nicely. I use this workaround all the time.