Thread: 3d snapping

Login to Give a bone

Default 3d snapping

Just getting started here, but:
    1.) Is there a way to snap to things in 3D views? I am working in landscape and all of my walls are at various heights and base lines, depending on the ground plane at a given point.
    Curiously, I can place the corner of a wall using snaps in a 3d view. But if i try to drag the top of the wall up, snaps don't work.
    2.) Along the same lines, is there a way to have annotations (like floor planes or section planes) show up in 3d views?
    3.) Am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of a 3D view? It seems like they are great for viewing the model or working with in-place masses, but not good for manipulating components.
    thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3d snapping

3d views aren't typically for working in.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: 3d snapping

I will respectfully disagree with Scott here.

We work in 3D views all day long--everyone from Conceptual Arch. Designers, to Interior Designers to Production/CD drafters.

You can have work planes display in 3D-- in RAC 2010 go to Home tab
    and click "Show" work plane. Very helpful in understanding how Revit works.
    You can not model objects or draw model lines without understanding workplanes.
    Custom named reference planes are also invaluable in all Revit views, esp. 3D.

You can also "set" the workplane here, which is very valuable when modeling and editing in 3D.

I would encourage anyone using Revit to ALWAYS work in 3D, along with Plan, Elevation and Section views--perhaps tiled, similar to a 3dsMax workflow. Perhaps a better way to state it is work in 2D and 3D simultaneously all the time. If you are stuck in 2D, you are in danger of treating Revit like a 2D drafting program--a definite no-no!

You'll find that some tools do not function in 3D views, and you can highlight an object
    in 3D, and with a tiled plan or section go to it immediately and edit it with all tools available.

It just takes some getting used to--but it doesn't take long. It's a bit more "exacting"
    than Sketchup or other face-based modeling software, but remember the added value you are getting from a true parametric BIM platform.

cheers..................

PS--check out the Conceptual Massing Tools--where you can actually "Snap 3D"

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Cliff. I disagree with myself. I too work in 3d all day long, just not constructing the model. Ie i don't draw walls from a 3d view, I draw them from a plan view. I don't insert windows from a 3d view, I put them in plan or elevation, etc. I read into the poster question that he was coming from a sketchup like workflow. Which Revit doesn't support.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

I also understand the benefit of working between multiple views, but--unless I am missing something--I don't think the 3d view is adding any MODELING functionality.
    If I draw a wall in plan, when I go to the 3d view, I can only change those variables I input in plan, mainly: where the corners go.

For example:
    I want to draw a wall whose base is midway along a slope. I can't just draw it in plan and then in a 3d view move its base down to the appropriate height.
    Of course I could just make a new level at the appropriate height and have the wall constrained to that, but If I have a courtyards with multiple slopes and terraces, each wall I place will have a slightly different base height and level.

Should I just get used to this workflow or am I missing something?

Login to Give a bone

If you look at many of the clips on http://www.cadclips.com DG often works in 3D views even for editing sketches of roofs and suchlike.

As for walls you can just drag the grips top and bottom in a 3D view as per attached - or is that not the question?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out.
    About the walls, I realize i can drag them up and down in 3d space, it would just be nice if i could drag and snap--not just drag and eyeball.
    As far as I can tell, those little drag handles are useless--they don't even snap to anything in 2d views--you are better off changing the wall height in properties if you want to be precise.

Login to Give a bone

The 2D drag handles often do snap to handy alignments nearby but normally I do this in 2D views as it happens more consistently.

Most things have an afinity to reference planes or levels even more so and I create many levels, not just for floors but to control beams and other objects.

When you drag say an extruded roof handle in a 3D view it will often give an alignment indicator to walls underneath as you pass the point of alignment.

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ivan.239950 View Post
    ... As far as I can tell, those little drag handles are useless--they don't even snap to anything in 2d views--you are better off changing the wall height in properties if you want to be precise...
    That's not true, as WS explained above. To add to it, you can also "reverse" (so to speak) the snapping situation and align the bottom/top walls' extends to the other references. This allows you locking them to these references as well and - if you are patient enough - you can achieve it also in a 3D view...

But like Cliff Collins said, the use of named reference planes and understanding of the concept of the work plane is a MUST in Revit.
    Last edited by jetisart; 2010-02-10 at 08:31 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

howdy,
    and should also not forget Trim, Split and Paint commands are very useful in 3D once you get it sorted and as Jetisart says, Align and Lock is very useful, as are things like selecting hosts / edges, for fascia and gutter sections.
    Cliff and Scott are right as its not necessarily about modelling, but about edits and tweaks and what view is most useful right now and almost always , that becomes a case of multiple views / angles and the 3D Model view, as much as with plan , section, elevation and detail views.
    trombe