Thread: [Help] AEC Structural objects and DisplayManager

Login to Give a bone

Default [Help] AEC Structural objects and DisplayManager

Preface: I don't have much experience with the DisplayManager and how it works.

I've received a Structural DWG that appears to have been created in AutoCAD Architecture. Whilst in the DWG - in the plan view, all it displays is the beam size text; I can see the 3D beams just fine in any other view. I fixed the plan view display by monkeying around in the DisplayManager, so now I can see the beams in the plan view. Once I got the beams to display in the plan view, I saved the DWG.

I'm using this structural DWG as a Construct in ProjectNavigator. However, once I pull it into my current Construct drawing, I have the same problem: I can see the beams in any other 3D view - except for the plan view (where all I get is the beam size text again). So back to the DisplayManager I go - but I notice I don't have the same options there. How do I get the beams to display in plan view (from the "XREF-ed" Construct)?

Any info that might point me in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: [Help] AEC Structural objects and DisplayManager

Quote Originally Posted by -SL- View Post
    Preface: I don't have much experience with the DisplayManager and how it works.

I've received a Structural DWG that appears to have been created in AutoCAD Architecture. Whilst in the DWG - in the plan view, all it displays is the beam size text; I can see the 3D beams just fine in any other view. I fixed the plan view display by monkeying around in the DisplayManager, so now I can see the beams in the plan view. Once I got the beams to display in the plan view, I saved the DWG.

I'm using this structural DWG as a Construct in ProjectNavigator. However, once I pull it into my current Construct drawing, I have the same problem: I can see the beams in any other 3D view - except for the plan view (where all I get is the beam size text again). So back to the DisplayManager I go - but I notice I don't have the same options there. How do I get the beams to display in plan view (from the "XREF-ed" Construct)?

Any info that might point me in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated.
    Try changing the display of the actual beam style. Just like you would with a door or window or wall. Select a beam, right click and choos edit beam style. Under the display properties tab, make sure the PLAN view is in bold. Edit the view and turn "on" above cut plane visible. That should do it for ya.
    If not, let me know and post the drawing so I can figure it out.

Login to Give a bone

also check the level of detail. In a low level of detail all you will see is the stick line. The beam style needs to have the "body" checked in order to display the flange and and the web. You'll see 4 solid lines, or at least you should. the other option would be to change to a High detail level.

Login to Give a bone

also check the level of detail. In a low level of detail all you will see is the stick line. The beam style needs to have the "body" checked in order to display the flange and and the web. You'll see 4 solid lines, or at least you should. the other option would be to change to a High detail level.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses, guys. It helped point me in the right direction. As it turns out, I was in the right place the whole time - I just didn't check the correct boxes.

In addition, I also posed my delima to Autodesk. Here is their response:
    What you can try to do is drag your display configuration over to the host drawing that you have set up in the XREF. To do this open both files and then in one open the Display Manager. Drag the display configuration over from the XREF file to the host that you have set up to show the objects you want.

Make sure the name of this configuration is unique, so you will have to change its name in the XREF file.

If you have made changes to the representations by object style too that will have to be dragged over as well.

The host drawing controls the display configurations. If they exist in one and not in another than the host will just display it according to how its display configurations are set.

It could be that since his model was created n another application that you may not get it looking exactly as you wish because it was not created specificly for this applicaion

If you are unable to resolve this please forward both the XREF file and the Host file and I will see what I can find.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can also select the X-Ref and on the right click options, override the object display and you should be able to select a display rep avail in the X-ref drawing. I believe this would still work if that display rep is not available in the host drawing.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=-SL-;1042470]Preface: I don't have much experience with the DisplayManager and how it works.

Nagesh S.Singh
    Directer