See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: OOB Beams + Wall Joins

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default OOB Beams + Wall Joins

If you're using the out of the box structural steel framing families, you may have noticed you can't use join to get the beams to cut holes out of walls they travel through. This is due to the fact that join only works on a family where the geometry is visible on all detail levels. Since the provided families have different representations at each detail level they will not cut.

If you have a project where you need the intersection line to show up in elevation/section/3d, simply edit the structural framing family and delete the geometry you don't want (we always delete the filleted sweep as it makes the family, and the resulting joins, simpler). Then make the other 3d geometry visible at all detail levels. Then reload/overwrite and join away!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: OOB Beams + Wall Joins

Great tip! I moved this thread to the Revit Structure forums as it is more relevant here.

To expand a little further, one can add a piece of geometry to the end of each beam to represent the area/volume that you want to cut out of the wall and set it to not be visible (assign to all LODs nonetheless). When you join geometry, you end up with a "seat pocket" in the wall. I think this technique would be very valuable for tilt-up construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2010-02-15 at 03:56 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: OOB Beams + Wall Joins

I think that could be quite useful! I am going to have to try it out. I have been doing a number of jobs where I would like a pocket in a masonry wall or concrete wall... I have just "ignored" that situation and worked around the detailing.

Login to Give a bone

As a newbie to Revit Structure, could you provide a more detailed explanation on how to do this? I just happen to be working on a masonry building with steel beams going through the walls. I was just using the wall opening tool, but would like to try this method.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Actually the requirement for joining geometry is that you need at least one solid visible in coarse view, not all three levels of detail. Also oddly enough, when you join, any geometry visible only in medium and coarse detail disappears! So you actually need coarse geometry to make this work. In my attached example, I edited the beam family to have the medium beam geometry visible at coarse too and then added a parameterized extrusion and set it to not be visible. This will create the pocket when you join. I added an instance parameter Pocket Clearance under Dimensions to give you more flexibility. In order to get the required plan representation, you have to turn off the 3D geometry in plan view since now it will be visible in Coarse level of detail. So I added a sub-category to the family (3d geometry) and assigned the beam extrusion to it. In the plan view I then turned it off. Hope this helps!

PS: Notice the 3D view in Fine level of detail; the Fine geometry does not show up. Now sketch a new beam (don't join) and notice the Fine geometry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

This is a Great Tip!
    However while setting up this feature for our company template families I came across a problem. I can't for the life of me make the members display only the stick representation in course mode while in plan view without overriding the join geometry.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Take a look at the families in my example and read my explanation thoroughly. You have to place geometry at coarse LOD. Then you put it on a subcategory so you can turn the visibility off in the plan view.

Login to Give a bone

Ahhh...Thank you.