Thread: Phasing

Login to Give a bone

Question Phasing

I am creating sheets for each phasing that we are going through. I have already created the graphics for when a phase is existing or in current view. Right now I have it so that things on phases earlier than the one I want to show as grayed out. The problem I'm having is that even though an earlier phase is suppose to be grayed out, when I have it on an later phase, half of the earlier phase materials are being grayed out and the other half aren't. I have checked and everything is on the correct phase, so I'm not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phasing

I'm still looking into the problem and was wondering if maybe if the object that I had on an old phase was being copied and/or monitored from the structural file might be a reason why it wasn't being grayed out and if there was a way to fix that problem.

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you checked the phase filters?

To have a particular view in a certain phase is one thing but you also have to check what phase filter this view is set to.

E.g. to show a mixture of new and existing elements I set my view to "New Construction" phase and the filter to"Show Final" - it shows everything from the existing phase that hasn't been demolished and all the new elements - all in "By Category" style (no difference between them - see picture 3). That's right for the "final" stage.

What you want is a something slightly different. I would call your filter something like "New and Retained" and set new to show "By Category" and existing (not demolished) to "Overriden" (see pictures 1 and 2 below).

Just play with your filters and overrides...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Elements acquire their status based upon when they were added (created or copied) into the project, so it is possible that what were existing objects were copied while active in a later phase, therefore they are New in that phase.

If the elements are coming from linked files, you should check that the phases are mapped between them through the linked file's properties (RC in the browser).

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nancy.mcclure View Post
    Elements acquire their status based upon when they were added (created or copied) into the project, so it is possible that what were existing objects were copied while active in a later phase, therefore they are New in that phase.

If the elements are coming from linked files, you should check that the phases are mapped between them through the linked file's properties (RC in the browser).
    Good point Nancy!