Thread: Importing .dxf files into Robot for analysis

Login to Give a bone

Default Importing .dxf files into Robot for analysis

I am having a bit of trouble importing dxf's from another program into Robot. My program creates 3d bridges made of simple timber elements, and I can import the files (via AutoCAD 2010) no problem.

However, while the model may look like all is good and ready to analyse, the wireframe of the model itself is either treated as a series of individual bars (i.e. the edges of the wireframe bricks are each treated as separate elements rather than the edges of a single element), or Robot does not recognize any bars at all (even though there is a visual representation of them on-screen, you can't select them and there are no bars in the properties and objects section).

To this extent I can't analyse anything in Robot, as there would appear to be nothing to analyze! I have all the corner nodes (sometimes well over 1,500 of them), but no actual elements.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing .dxf files into Robot for analysis

Hi Michael,
    On the window "Parameters of loading DXF/IGES-format files" mark the option "Change of linear objects (lines, polylines, arcs) into bars"

Try your self with diferent combinations of these parameters to "understand"/find which one works better for you.

Good luck