Thread: Questions Questions

Login to Give a bone

Default Questions Questions

Hi all,

I'm quite new to ASD and Revit, having been on a few courses and done some work using them I have a few questions which I hope some of you can shed some light on for me....(its not a widely used program in the UK but the package is getting more popular recently)..

Is Revit only good for concrete and ASD for steel, thats what I'm finding the more I use them?....I find ASD Concrete a little long in the tooth and Revits steel abilities a little limited ie beam/column connections only

I suppose my main question to you all is do you use them together or tend to stick to one program....or do you use both and intergrate them upon completion?

I find losing information when importing/exporting to one another a little frustrating especially when my engineer wants to use the model in his structural analysis program and components are missing for one reason or another

I look forward to reading your replies

Kind Regards

KL

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions Questions

I guess it depends what you are using this for.

I know that in the UK you (the drafter) schedule all of the rebar lengths, so for this purpose revit is fantastic. No more hand calcs for you, but having said that, you need to model your reo very carefully - it's very useful for a cross-check of an expected reo rate.

Secondly, I find revit is awesome for steel detailing.
    Its very neat, pretty fast, and the real beauty and time saving comes into effect when I am trying to cut sections, or especially if things start to move about, which is pretty much a given on any particular project.

I have done buildings where I have detailed all of my steel connections using actual modelled components - very easy and most of the time its repeating componentry so you get one right and then group it up and copy it around, I can have a simple portal frame fully detailed (including connections) in a day and the model looks very nice indeed.
    I have also done projects where it just wasnt worth modelling every connection and therefore used detail lines for most of it. For the most part I find it better than CAD as alot of the work is done for you, its mostly just tidying up a detail and annotating it.

It's one of those "how long is a piece of string" kind of questions. Depending on wha tyou need out of the software I would say Revit is pretty good all round, but some things become more complicated and almost not worth it on a time basis the more in depth you try to go...

All AUGI, all the time kathy71046's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions Questions

I use Revit for Concrete and ASD for steel.

I did detail a steel project in Revit, but found it was not giving me the greatest results. Once ASD steel is set up, it is quite easy to get good drawings out, although any non-linear dims must be done manually, it's still better then doing all your dims manually as you would to detail in Revit.

On the other hand, Structrual drawings for the Engineer to sign off on are great in Revit, only a little akward to model unusual componentry like laced columns, and once you get your ref planes in and use those for you members, even these are fairly easy to do.

I've not had a chance to do any integration with analysis software, but I do know that you would need to have any members that are changed to be loaded into your project before you link the data in. Perhaps the same applies to the engineer's software.
    Kathy Taylor
    Senior Structural Draftsperson & Proprietor
    TaylorCAD
    www.taylorcad.com.au

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy it!
    Revit User Phase 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 5, 4.....