Thread: To dim or not to .......

Login to Give a bone

Default To dim or not to .......

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but feel I need to vent some frustration somewhere! Does anyone else feel that less and less dimensions are shown on drawing nowadays?

When I first started out on the drawing board most drawings included the note "do not scale, if in doubt ask" or something similar. Then when cad packages first started to appear, it was suggested we just measure from the cad files if no dims were given. Fortunately most realised that it was still better to set things out properly with dims.

Now it seems in the bright new "bimtastic" world the model is always correct and there is no need to set things out with dims! We just compare models etc and all will be fine. This just seems wrong to me (although I appreciate maybe I am just from a bygone age). I fully understand the benefits of Revit and the BIM environment but still feel we should be working from and producing proper dimensioned drawings. The information we put into our model should be accurately located and therefore we should not have a problem putting dims on should we? For me Revit should be making things more efficient and accurate not just be an excuse to cut corners.

Sorry about the rant, do I have a point or am I just missing it altogether?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: To dim or not to .......

Contractors need the dims most RFI's are regarding missing dims. They are still told not to scale of drawings or even the model. So i agree more dims are given, but they are now accurate dims. I don't have any problem with dims that aren't even numbers as long as they are what you want. there is no real diff. between the 1/2" mark on a ruler and the 1/16"
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK