Thread: host parameter defined by nested family parameter

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default host parameter defined by nested family parameter

I know you can drive a nested family's parameters by the host family (shared family & instanced based parameters), but is there a way to drive the host family parameter by a parameter in the nested family?
    I'm trying to create a door family that is composed of a frame, and then nest in different panel types. I want the panels to have a "panel type" parameter that is consistent regardless of the frame type it is nested in. If I make the "panel type" parameter instance and driven by the host frame, then it won't be consistent between different frames.
    If I make the "panel type" parameter a type, then it works, but here comes my next issue.
    If I make both the panel and frame a door family, then when I schedule both of them show up individually. If I make the panel a generic family then they won't be counted as a separate door in the schedule, this will also allow me to separate the frame from the panel for doing graphical legends and such. But since the panel is a generic model, I can't schedule its "panel type" parameter in the door schedule. But if I could create a parameter in the frame family, that the panel is nested into, the gets defined by the "panel type" in the panel family, I'd be golden.
    If I make both the panel and the frame a door family and nest the panel into the frame, and then create a filter so that the panel won't schedule, then I still run into the issue of the "panel type" not showing up in the schedule.
    It seems to me that the only way to do this is to have the host parameter driven by the nested parameter. Or create two schedules that get placed on a sheet so they look like one.
    Last edited by t1.shep; 2010-02-26 at 03:32 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: host parameter defined by nested family parameter

Quote Originally Posted by t1.shep View Post
    I know you can drive a nested family's parameters by the host family (shared family & instanced based parameters), but is there a way to drive the host family parameter by a parameter in the nested family?
    Unfortunately, No there is not. Parameters are currently, only Top-Down, or Hosted to nested.