Thread: Phasing - Renovations and Legacy Models

Login to Give a bone

Default Phasing - Renovations and Legacy Models

I'm trying to work out a long term strategy to document facilities that evolve over time. For example Healthcare facilities. We may do a hospital tower addition. then in the same facility renovate a small tenant finish area. It maybe 2 years later that we do another tenant finish renovation. We are struggling to use phases correctly because rooms that are existing disappear in the following phases however we want them to still be there unless they change.
    So we are considering a linked model approach, however that means demo has to happen in the original model.

If anyone has dealt with this I'd love to speak with you. shoot me a PM and I'll call to discuss.

Thank you.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phasing - Renovations and Legacy Models

Hi Scott,

One way we get around Room names over phasing is like this.
    Duplicate your "existing phase" plan view.
    Rename it "Room name Existing" or something that makes sense to you.
    Go to VG and turn off everything except "Room Names" so now you have a view showing only the room names for the existing rooms.
    When you place your floor plan on the sheet, with your existing and new work shown, simply place the room name view over the top.

It seems to work pretty well, for us anyway.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thats not going to help him with scheduling finishes that need to change, if he needs to show all of the existing to remain as well. He wont be able to manipulate the rooms without actually altering the previous phase, which- im guessing- he wants to keep as part fo the documentation.

Scott- The best i have for dealing with the ****** room situation is to group the rooms and copy the group to the future phase. The nice thing about them being grouped is you have a *baseline* you can get back to for existing conditions.

For LINKED files... I do demo in linked files all the time. Of course, im OCD and love working with Revit Links, LOL. But ive done quite a few renovations that were partially in Linked Files, and partially not. I made the distinction based on the building layouts, and just meticulously named and set up the Links so there wasnt any confusion...

Login to Give a bone

Didn't see anything in the original post about scheduling finishes. The question was to retain room names over phases. Groups do work well for that as well.

We schedule wall finishes by using project parameters in the room category (ie North Wall, South Wall etc or whatever your office convention is) for existing and new wall finishes.

These are then added to a room schedule to indicate the existing finish and new finish. The schedule along with the graphical elevations give the full picture of work.

As we are only interested in the new work phase no existing rooms or finishes are shown in the schedule.

OK, it's not very BIM like, with all the information being entered manually and if you have a large number of rooms being renovated then filling out the schedule can be tiresome, but that's what juniors are for, right?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What i was pointing out was that the "rooms" in question from your method will be the original rooms from Existing Phase, and wont have any bearing to the renovation work. That will be an issue anywhere the "renovation" creates more rooms, less rooms, bigger rooms, or smaller rooms, OR anywhere the finishes need to change...

Login to Give a bone

Yep that's right.
    The first method is to only show the rooms that are not being modified, you simply hide the names of the rooms that are being worked on in the "Room Name" view and tag the new rooms or existing rooms being worked on in the new construction phase.
    Last edited by ARCHdoc; 2010-02-26 at 10:31 AM.