Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Login to Give a bone

Question Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

I'm using Revit on Parallels on an iMac and reading up on set up in this forum was critical to getting it working, but I'm still having a few problems that I hope somebody can help me with.

Problem 1: I can only open projects/families that are stored on my iMac side from the welcome screen (see first screen shot) which basically means I can only have one file open at a time. If I try to open a file by clicking on the "open file" icon and then browsing to the file through my network (just on my own computer) to the Mac OS side, it tells me it can't find the file. (See the second screenshot)

Problem 2: Every time I click on the big "R" in the top left of Revit to try to "Save As" Revit crashes. If there is a keyboard shortcut for "Save As" I'd be happy to know what it is. I tried to add a keyboard shortcut in the txt file for that but it isn't working. I scanned the shortcuts to make sure the letters I picked "KP" (for Keep Project) and "KF" (for Keep Family) weren't taken but they still don't work.

If anybody can help me with either of these, I'd be really relieved. I'm also new to Revit and am just learning it and getting used to this set up with a reno for a friend and still using my old PC and CAD for everything else.

Here is my set up:

Edit: Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 on Windows 7 x64 on Parallels 5 on Mac OS X 10.6.3

27-inch iMac
    2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel core i7
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    16GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Kristin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by klwhiteley; 2010-04-15 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Clarify system setup

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Well, it looks like my problems aren't common ones because nobody seems to have any explanations. So I guess that's good. It's probably some mistake I made in setting up my system.

I did figure out one of my problems though so I thought I'd post it just in case anybody else ran into this in the future and because I don't want people to get discouraged about running Revit on a Mac.

I figured out it depends on the path I take to a file whether or not Revit can find it on my Mac side. In the open file window the first two options on the left side of the screen are "My Computer" on top and then "My Network" right below. If I try to find the file by clicking on "My Network" and then following the path to the file that way, I get the error message saying it can't find the file, but if I click on "My Computer" and then on "Home on .psf Z: Network Drive" and then the Documents folder from there, it will find all my files, no problem. (See Screen Shot below) I don't understand why, but there you go.

Now, if only I could solve my "Save As" problem.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Well I've figured out how to access the Application Menu, that is click on the big "R" and get the pull down menu instead of having the program crash on me. But now I can't access my project files that are on the Mac side.

Strike 1:
    I went to Virtual Machine - Configure - Options - Shared Folders - and changed Share these Mac folders: from "Home folder" to "None". I tried adding my "Documents" folder under User-defined Mac OS X folders and that seemed to work the first time I opened Revit after that. There were no Recent Project Files listed in the Welcome Screen, but I was able to access the Application Menu for the first time in weeks.

Before I went looking for a project file on the Mac side to open, I went to Application Menu - Options - File Locations - Default Path for User Files and Browsed to my Mac side to my Documents folder.

Then I went back to the Application Menu and browsed over to my Mac side through my "network" connection and Opened a project file. The file opened no problem, but then I tried clicking on the big "R" and the program crashed immediately.

Strike 2
    I went to VM - Configure - Options - Shared Folders and changed to None. Then I opened Revit, checked that I could access the Application Menu and did not change any of the Default Paths in the Options dialogue box in the Application Menu.

Then I went back to the VM and tried the Shared Folders as "Home Folder" and also as "None" but with my Documents folder added as a User Defined option.

With both of these configurations Revit crashed when I clicked on the big "R" Application Menu.

I would be very grateful if anyone who is working with this same kind of set up could let me know specific details about how the "network" between their VM and their Mac side is configured to know if I've messed up something or if I'm missing something in my configuration. I'm new to Macs, to Revit and to VMs and I'm not tech/computer savvy.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not but one of the things I discovered while I've been looking around for a solution to this is that there are a bunch of Autodesk files that have found their way into my Parallels Internet Security Folder on my VM
    (C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Internet Security 2009 AND C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Internet Security 2009\x64). See Screen Shots below. I installed and uninstalled PIS when I first setup the VM because it was wrecking havoc with Windows. This was before I installed any Autodesk software. I'd like to go to the Parallels forum and see if I can delete this folder without disturbing my Parallels setup, but I don't want to delete it with all these Autodesk files in it without knowing what they are and if I should move them somewhere else.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Here is the last image of the list of files that found their way into my Parallels IS folder.
    These are the ones that went into the sub-folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Internet Security 2009\x64

Login to Give a bone

I'm not having the exact same problems you are, but you did post at the Parallels forum about one we do share and this was my response there. I added it here just in case.

Actually, I did find a solution. Its probably not the best, and I'm sure if I spent way more time than I want to there is a better solution.

Here's what I did:

1. Create a shortcut on your Windows Desktop to the revit.ini file.
    2. Before opening Revit, double click the revit.ini shortcut.
    3. Scroll to the bottom and delete the line under [ Recent Files ]. It should be the locations of your last few files you opened with Revit.
    4. Save the ini file and close it.
    5. Open Revit.

It sounds like a lot, but it takes 15 seconds. I think the problem has something to do with the directory Boot Camp uses and the directory Parallels uses. Somehow they don't match up and when you open the same file under both environments, Revit gets confused.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Hey there Kl,

This is what my configuration looks like and Save As, Save, Open...whatever, works just fine for me.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, Parallels 5, Windows 7 64-bit.

In the first screenshot, you'll notice I have "Isolate from Windows" unchecked.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Thanks Danny - I'm glad you found a work around. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. They're very clear. I went to try it out for myself and this is what I ran into. I did a search of my VM for the revit.ini you refer to but it didn't show up. I did however find a file revit.ini.bak, but I couldn't open it. I'm attaching a Screenshot of my search results and also the error message.

Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

I heard back from a very helpful Autodesk technician a few days ago who gave me a workaround to deal with my issue. (Though I have to say I was not happy about waiting nearly 3 weeks from when I first submitted my support request through my subscription. I finally contacted my reseller who contacted Autodesk on my behalf and that's when I heard from them.)

Here's the workaround:

I set up an external hard drive with a partitioned drive, a smaller FAT side for my working Revit models, custom families and templates. The other side of the external HD I have configured to use as a backup for my Mac OS with Time Machine. I do have to manually copy my working file to the Mac OS at the end of each day to have a back up. Time Machine apparently can't back up the FAT configured partition.

VM Configuration (see screenshot below): Share whatever Mac files you want or leave at none, but choose and add your external HD (FAT) location as independent network location (ie.don't try to browse to it through your Mac side).

It appears so far that the VM can be configured to share Mac locations and I was able to open other non-Revit files (pdfs) while I had Revit running and it didn't disturb the program. I was also able to import and link CAD files from the Mac locations and I continued to be able to access the Applications menu, but as soon as I opened a Revit project file from a Mac location the error would begin again so I shut down Revit, reconfigured as described and began again. So I'm going to stick with keeping all working Revit files on the external for now.

Here's the link to the Autodesk technical description of the problem and the workaround:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9243099

Cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

Autodesk support also explained why I couldn't find the Revit.ini file. I had it but it wasn't showing up in a search because I had the file extensions hidden for known files. I had to Open the Windows Explorer --> Organize --> Folder Options --> View --> uncheck the box "Hide Extensions for Known File Types". See Screenshot below.

They also clarified that the files in the Parallels PIS folder are not AutoCAD/Autodesk files despite showing the little AutoCAD icon beside them. They are PIS files, but I have some setting that says to recognize all .ppl files as AutoCAD files. He illustrated this by changing a .pdf file extension of a file sitting on my desktop to .rvt and a little Revit icon appeared beside it. Of course Revit couldn't open it (nothing could because it confused everthing) but showed the point. See three Screenshots below.

Yes, I felt like an idiot.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Revit 2010 on Parallels 5 - Trouble finding files stored on MAC OS

One more question on this topic.

Is there anybody out there running exactly the same set up as me (hardware and software listed in the first post in this thread) and saving their project files to the Mac side and still retaining complete functionality with Revit?

If yes, please respond with a simple yes, in which case I will know to keep looking through my system to find a true solution.

If the answer is no, your setup is similar, but with a few differences, like all files are saved to a (non-Mac) server in a network location or different hardware, if you could mention the difference then that could be a help too.

I appreciate that this thread has gone on for a while so people might be tired of reading about this issue, but if anyone can enlighten me on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kristin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast