Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Version Opening Files

Login to Give a bone

Angry Wrong Version Opening Files

I currently have multiple versions of AutoCAD installed on my machine (AutoCAD 2004, AutoCAD Electrical 2007, AutoCAD Electrical 2008, and AutoCAD 2010). After installing 2010 an issue began that I had solved with past releases however it has stumped me this time.

Typically I open all drawing files via Windows Explorer as opposed to doing so from within AutoCAD using the "Open" command. After installing 2010 when I double click a file it opens in 2010 however I need for it to open using 2008.

From within Windows Explorer I went to "Tools...Folder Options...File Types". I then selected the "DWG" file type and hit browse. I then selected the acad.exe executable which is located within the AutoCAD 2008 folder. Now when I double click a file it opens it using AutoCAD 2004.

I believe part of the issue is a result of all AutoCAD executables being named "acad.exe" as opposed to "acad2008.exe, etc". Is anyone aware of a system variable or any other method that would control which version is used to open drawings?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wrong Version Opening Files

In my experience, clicking on a file in explorer launches the last version of AutoCAD you were using.

If you want it to open in a particular version, start that version and close it out. Any files clicked should now launch in that version.

FYI, Autodesk does not recommend opening files through explorer, but by starting AutoCAD and opening the file with AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

I have also tried just what you stated. I have opened a drawing file within 2008 and then closed both the drawing and application. I then launched 2008 and once fully loaded double clicked my file. It continued to open in 2004.

Also, the option of opening my drawings via the AutoCAD "Open" command is out of the question. I have drawings separated within folders for various customers, lets say 10 or so of these at any given time. Within some of these customer folders I have them broken down by areas of the plant, then project, etc. One customer folder for instance easily has 300 sub-folders.

If I were to use the "Open" command I would spend an enormous amount of time browsing back and fourth between locations, thus making it impractical.

Login to Give a bone

Double-check that you have pointed to the right acad.exe in \folder options\file types\etc..
    Scott's comments depend on the default "DWG launcher" being selected instead of a specific .exe file.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Can you not set the default setting within windows to use a specific program ?

Right click a file, go down to "Open With", scroll over to the right, scroll to the bottom and choose "Open with...."

Choose the Autocad application, check the check box for "Always use selected program to open..." and Ok.

Does that work for you ?

Login to Give a bone

I believe right clicking on a file and selecting "Open With" takes me to a similar menu as if I were to select "Tools...Folder Options...File Types". I tried your method with the same result as before. When I browse to select the executable I want, I navigate to the "ACADE2008" folder and select the "acad.exe" file. I then select that I would like for this file type to always open with the selected program. It then opens the drawing file using AutoCAD 2004.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

hmmm, trying to be simple..... did you try closing all windows of AutoCAD (at least) and making those changes.... or even rebooting your computer ?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Something else you may want to try is dragging the drawing file icon into the open AutoCAD application area (not inside a drawing, which would be treated like INSERT). It also lets you open multiple files at the same time.

Login to Give a bone

I have tried closing AutoCAD, confirmed the task was no longer running, made the changes, and then relaunched AutoCAD with no luck. I've been using the drag from Windows Explorer to AutoCAD method as a work around and feel that for now it is my best option. I would however prefer to resolve the issue so that I can go back to opening directly from Windows Explorer as I always have.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore284 View Post
    I have tried closing AutoCAD, confirmed the task was no longer running, made the changes, and then relaunched AutoCAD with no luck. I've been using the drag from Windows Explorer to AutoCAD method as a work around and feel that for now it is my best option. I would however prefer to resolve the issue so that I can go back to opening directly from Windows Explorer as I always have.
    The trouble with the double-click-to-open method in AutoCAD, unlike some other files such as Word or Excel documents, is you could have multiple versions, each with multiple profiles, not to mention other non-AutoCAD DWG programs to choose from. Always best to make sure to open the file once the proper program is up and running with the correct settings. By the by, have you tried double-clicking on LNK shortcuts within the AutoCAD open file dialog?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast