Thread: LEED Documentation with 3ds Max Design

Login to Give a bone

Default LEED Documentation with 3ds Max Design

Hi,

I have read the white papers from autodesk, I have watched the video at autodesk university, and I have searched the web far and wide. These resources are fabulous and cover just about everthing you need to know. What I haven't been able to find is somehwere that explains how to bring all of your light meter information together at the end in an appropriate way for a LEED submittal.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Should you create seperate light meters for each occupied room so that you can break down the light levels per room in excel with the areas from generated Revit? Or is there an easier way?

2. If your room is not square/rectangular or it is round, what is the best way to approach this when creating your light meters?

3. Having a floor plan displaying the light meter values and corresponding areas would be the clearest way of communicating your data for submittal, but can you easily make a floor plan in max if you have multiple stories?

If anyone has an example they can share or some words of wisdom regarding any of these questions, or ones I haven't thought of yet, I would greatly appreciate it. I am a max rookie so if any of these questions can be found in the max help file just let me know how to find them.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: LEED Documentation with 3ds Max Design

With so many people looking at the post and no one leaving a response, I'm assuming the vast majority of people are looking for help on this topic. So I have attached the links to the documents I mentioned in my initial post below to help anyone who is just getting into this.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/file...ax_started.pdf
    http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/file...x_advanced.pdf

Also there is an excellent Autodesk University class AB122-4 Using Autodesk® Revit® and 3ds Max® Design for Daylighting

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=4936

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LEED Documentation with 3ds Max Design

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber View Post
    Hi,

I have read the white papers from autodesk, I have watched the video at autodesk university, and I have searched the web far and wide. These resources are fabulous and cover just about everthing you need to know. What I haven't been able to find is somehwere that explains how to bring all of your light meter information together at the end in an appropriate way for a LEED submittal.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Should you create seperate light meters for each occupied room so that you can break down the light levels per room in excel with the areas from generated Revit? Or is there an easier way?

2. If your room is not square/rectangular or it is round, what is the best way to approach this when creating your light meters?

3. Having a floor plan displaying the light meter values and corresponding areas would be the clearest way of communicating your data for submittal, but can you easily make a floor plan in max if you have multiple stories?

If anyone has an example they can share or some words of wisdom regarding any of these questions, or ones I haven't thought of yet, I would greatly appreciate it. I am a max rookie so if any of these questions can be found in the max help file just let me know how to find them.
    1. Yes, I believe you would need to create a separate light meter for each room.
    2. I would orient my viewport to a top view of the room, one that shows the view in the room if you were floating above the floor. You could do this with a camera or try and customize your view to display things as needed. Then instead of a light meter, I would use the option to overlay the rendered image with light values in post processing. I am going from memory so the exact name/location escapes me.
    3. I think I could do this easier in post production using something PS. Render your rooms/floors to multiple images, then stitch them together in PS.
    Hopefully this helps!
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM