Thread: Steel Trusses in Revit Structure 2010

Login to Give a bone

Red face Steel Trusses in Revit Structure 2010

I have attempted to create a steel truss family so the overall profile of the truss fits within a given set of dimensions. I have drawn the truss family profile to represent the overall out-to-out dimensions. Typical truss dimensions are as follows: c/c span=94'-7";
    heel height at bearing 1'-6 1/2"; gable truss profile; top chord slope 5:12; truss height at midspan=21'-3". Top and bottom chords are WT's with dbl L's as web members. When I load the truss family into the project, draw the truss in plan and view it in elevation or section, the dashed line representation of the truss is on the centerline of the members which makes the overall dimensions of the truss larger than desired. Being new to Revit, I'm sure the answer to my problem is rather simple. All suggestions are very much welcomed.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Steel Trusses in Revit Structure 2010

If you have a given set of dimensions, I would draw the truss in the family editor exactly as the same size of dimensions. Then when placing it in project, make sure you type in the extact distance as the family otherwise errors and issues will generate.

Then move the truss into the desired position.

I have used thisin the past to create some very complex basic trusses. Mosstly for train stations that require a swept like curve roof design. One truss can be built to support this.

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here are a couple suggestions for how to achieve the look you want:
    1. you could "unpin" (with the pin icon or from the ribbon) the top and bottom chords and set their z-direction offset to top of beam and bottom of beam respectively.
    2. instead of sketching the exact dimensions in the truss family editor, use a standard Howe or Pratt truss and in the project environment create a "roof" (from the Architect and Site Tab) that has its bottom surface at the correct dimensions above your bearing points and the correct peak height and location. Once you've placed the truss in the project, you can use the "attach top/bottom" tool from the modify truss contextual tab to select this roof as your top attachment. You can repeat the process with the bottom of the truss (should be able to use a ceiling for bottom attachment or another "roof").

Let me know if you have further questions.
    Thanks,
    -Ken
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

Login to Give a bone

I would also start with a standard truss.

Edit one of the standard truss families to have an offset half the width of the member for each outter vertical web. I do this for my wood trusses. If the outside vertical member is a 2x4 I move the outter most vertical web IN 1.75 Inches. Then lock that dimension. This might be a little more difficult with steel members because the sizes are not as uniform, but still have the same result.

I have problems arraying when anything is unpinned with-in the truss. When I array the truss after unpinning a member the member is shown wrong again on the arrayed truss.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for ideas. After struggling awhile with my truss I did in fact use one of
    the standard truss families and if worked much better.