Thread: Shipping Container

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Shipping Container

Hello all,

My name is Alexander and I work for a company called Stack Design Build. We do a lot of work with shipping container projects; Check them out here: and/or , or check out our blog at .

We need a parametric shipping container family to operate in RevIt. It must have functionality in width and height. It also needs walls and ceilings to be able to be turned on/off. Does anyone know someone who can build this? Or does anyone have something like this that you are willing to send me? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shipping Container

I just designed a new office for my firm. we're moving into 9 cotnainers at the end of may cuz we cant afford to pay rent anymore. In order to draw our new office in revit, I modeled a frame family, a door family and a wall void family. I found that this was the best method for assembling containers. although I made the mistake of using the wall voids individually to emulate the panel corrugations. in retrospect it would be smarter to array the voids within the family itself. not in the project. I assembled a container in the project and then made it into a model group so that the containers could be easily moved / duplicated. hope this helps, good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by courtlandtgross View Post
    I just designed a new office for my firm. we're moving into 9 cotnainers at the end of may cuz we cant afford to pay rent anymore. In order to draw our new office in revit, I modeled a frame family, a door family and a wall void family. I found that this was the best method for assembling containers. although I made the mistake of using the wall voids individually to emulate the panel corrugations. in retrospect it would be smarter to array the voids within the family itself. not in the project. I assembled a container in the project and then made it into a model group so that the containers could be easily moved / duplicated. hope this helps, good luck
    I tried to download your files w/o luck. For some reason its format goes from revit to a php.

Login to Give a bone

You probably need to join AUGI to be able to download files.

I personally wouldn't model the container corrugations at all unless you need it for a REALLY high-end rendering, and even then I still might just do it as a material with a bump map. I would just model the full depth of the panel as a wall and use a model pattern to represent the corrugations in elevation and 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    You probably need to join AUGI to be able to download files.
    well, it's funny I already joined the forum and still shows my presence as a guess. I was able to download the file [presents it self as a .rfa but when I look for it in my computer it shows as a php file.

Yuri

Login to Give a bone

Did you activate your membership from the e-mail that was sent to you?
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The corrugation might be nice to have modeled for callout/details. Perhaps a line-based family of a standard corrugation section (vertical rib) with a height variable as a type, set in a standard repeating increment? Would need to deal with openings with voids, however...

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Wow, what a design. As a person who works in a shipping company, I just found out that shipping containers can be used for useful things when they are no longer used.