Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Orthagonal Roof Plan to Slope of Roof?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question True Orthagonal Roof Plan to Slope of Roof?

I am doing a roof that is all skylights. There are two different roofs, the roof pitches are at 1:10 and 1:24. When I look down at the roof in traditional plan view i am seeing the dimensions and families that are skewed because of the pitch. Very difficult to match up the true sides, end, etc of the familes. i am making the families to the true dimensions of the fabrication drawings but in Revit's plan view they don't look like they are the right dimensions because of the pitch. supposedly we have 5' X 10' grids but the families aren't lining up with those dimensions (see attached picture) when we insert them into the project (using faced based generic models).

Is there any way to make a plan that is true (planar?) to the pitch of the roof? How? We tried making a section over the roof at the angle of the roof to view it in true plan however the dimensions are still the same as the traditional plan view.

BTW we created a roof profile and then changed it to sloped glazing. i am using RAC 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WYSIWYG-BIM; 2010-03-26 at 04:40 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: True Orthagonal Roof Plan to Slope of Roof?

interesting question, i also want to know if it's possible to create a view (2D and/or 3D) which is based on user created work plane, i don't know if it's already available?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You have to cut a section, then rotate it to a parallel position with the sloping roof.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

ok but how do I know if my rotated section is exactly parallel to mr roof slope for sure? It looks like it is but it doesn't tell me that it is.

To get a plan view from that newly created section i click on it and go to view and that will give me my truely planar/orthagonal view that i can measure to?

thank you!
    Last edited by WYSIWYG-BIM; 2010-03-26 at 06:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

hmm running into a similar issue with sloped concrete paving, on which I drew control joint lines using the sloped paving to define the work plane. But it's part of my overall site plan, so I can't have that view sloped, but then what to do about dimensioning between the lines when the dimension measures the true horizontal dimension rather than the dimension along the surface of the paving?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

good workaround!
    but what i mean is how to get front roof "plan" instead of side roof "plan" as per attached jpg?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Simply cut your section, select it and rotate, move your rotation point to any point along sloping plane, then rotate from vertical to a pnother point along that pane. See attached.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

i mean how to get a "real" plan view of roof which is True Orthagonal Roof Plan to Slope of Roof? not the "side" plan view as my previous attached jpg.

Edit: i just found out that you can create Detail Section insted of Building or Wall Section.
    Last edited by joe.zhou; 2010-03-26 at 08:35 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Joe you have to create a section from your non true plan (looking down on your roof) then cut a section and rotate it to your roof. that what I just spent the last hour figuring out. the work around for the section not snapping to the slope of the roof is to draw a reference plan along the slope - then the section will snap (stick) to it.

giant PIA. whould be no more difficult that creating anoy other plan. maybe the factory can work on this/

i answered my own post - ha ha.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

i don't understand why you have to rotate section view to create true roof plan view, in fact, factory did provide another kind of Section which is Detail Section, the only difference is that Detail Section will create detail view of that section instead of normal section (Building / Wall Section), see attached rvt for your reference.
    just curious how do you snap to roof reference plane when you create normal section?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast