Thread: Switching to 2009 from 2007

Login to Give a bone

Default Switching to 2009 from 2007

My firm is upgrading us to 2009. Some of us are working in project navigator 2007. Are there any known problems switching in the middle of a project or any problems specific to 2009? Are there any updates/service packs that we should install? I was unaware we were changing and we are switching almost immediately. Any information would be great.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Switching to 2009 from 2007

Quote Originally Posted by c.mcmahon View Post
    My firm is upgrading us to 2009. Some of us are working in project navigator 2007. Are there any known problems switching in the middle of a project or any problems specific to 2009? Are there any updates/service packs that we should install? I was unaware we were changing and we are switching almost immediately. Any information would be great.
    I always download the service packs, just out of habit and to make sure it's always updated. When you install 2009, there is a section to automaticall download and install it with the program install, so you don't have to do it separately.

As for compatibility, there shouldn't be any problems that I know of. Both 2007 and 2009 files are saved as a 2007 format drawing. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Login to Give a bone

I have a simple but extremely valid bit of advice to give you. Whatever version of AutoCAD you start a project in, ie: Acad MEP 2007 or any other vertical product, finish the project in that version! DO NOT attempt to change versions of AutoCAD during the life of a project.

I can tell you firsthand that switching versions during the development of a project (switching from AutoCAD MEP 2006 to AutoCAD MEP 2007, in particular) is a disaster of mega proportions! Sheets will suddenly show missing information or dynamic blocks that are larger than they are supposed to be (as shown on the model or construct files). Our firm does a LOT of customizaton to make AutoCAD look like our CAD standards prior to PCs (on the board).

I agree with Dzatto that you are probably safe switching from A2007 to A2009 as it is the same platform (no major upgrades as there was from A2006 to A2007). And there should not be anything significantly different in Project Navigator from A2007 to A2009 specifically. Sadly, AutoDesk is not developing Project Navigator to fix some of the issues I have had with it such as the sorting of files. Project Navigator is a very good tool for project management if everyone on your team follows the rules (not deleting or rename files outside of PN, for example).

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

What the original poster was asking is switching from 07 to 09. There are a few objects that won't transfer fully, like just about all of them. You don't want to be drawing in 09 and saving to 07. There may be objects that you can create in 09 that don't have the same options in 07. You'll loose anything like that. If adesk re-named anyone of the properties or materials, again, you might be out of luck.
    ACA drawings are not acad drawings. A simple save to 2007 will get you most of the drawing, but you may get some data loose. Upgrade everyone, or no one. Don't try to use 09 as 07. You might not like the results.