See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to rotate part of a Revit family?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to rotate part of a Revit family?

This is a problem that has stumped me for way more time than I wish to aknowledge, please help.

In a 2D detail family I wish to have geometry that grows according to family type, rotates about a point according to an instance parameter, and has the point about which this geometry rotates located parametrically - i.e. not pinned.

Is it best to define the point about which stuff will rotate with reference lines? or planes?

What's the best way to lock my rotating geometry to this point?

How can I explicitely define the angle of rotation such that I really do mean 30° - I don't mean 210°?

Much thanks in advance,
    Jim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to rotate part of a Revit family?

Make the element you want to rotate one family with necessary parameters - rotation, size it seems? Insert this family into another family. In this way, the imported family remains as a single unit that can be rotated and moved at will via instance parameters as well as have its own parameters driven by the parent family.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - CSG View Post
    Make the element you want to rotate one family with necessary parameters - rotation, size it seems? Insert this family into another family. In this way, the imported family remains as a single unit that can be rotated and moved at will via instance parameters as well as have its own parameters driven by the parent family.
    Thanks Richard. I tried that but was unable to get the imported family to both rotate and move with the point in the parent family. I've nearly exhausted all the possible combinations I can think of for locking it to the point, usually getting it 99% locked and getting the dreaded "overconstrained" message as I try to click that last lock.
    I seem to get either the lock or the rotation but not both.
    Exactly what entity(s) in the child family should I be trying to lock to exactly which entity(s) in the parent family, reference lines to reference lines?

I'm also a bit fuzzy on just how to drive the child family's parameters by the parent family, though I think I have seen this part of the puzzle documented.

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Can you post a sample?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jjenkins.144632 View Post
    I'm also a bit fuzzy on just how to drive the child family's parameters by the parent family, though I think I have seen this part of the puzzle documented.
    In the child family make an instance parameter for the rotation angle. Where you want your insertion point, be sure to make the two crossing reference planes Origin. It may help to pin them also.

In the parent family, make a parameter to drive the angle. Now, drag and place the child family somewhere in the project to access it's instance parameters. Where the child parameter's angle is located, on the far right is an "=" sign...click that and select the parent family's parameter that drives that angle.

The child family should now rotate independent of its location. Be sure to set your dimension that drives its location to a reference plane that does not rotate in the child family - this may mean creating one just for this purpose (make it a weak reference).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - CSG View Post
    In the parent family, make a parameter to drive the angle. Now, drag and place the child family somewhere in the project to access it's instance parameters. Where the child parameter's angle is located, on the far right is an "=" sign...click that and select the parent family's parameter that drives that angle.

The child family should now rotate independent of its location.
    Thank you so much Richard.

I've made a child family (which I've attached) with an instance parameter for the rotation angle, and 2 pinned planes as origin. I've loaded this into the parent family and in the parent family found the instance parameter for the angle and assigned it to the parent family's parameter that drives that angle.

Now when I flex the angle parameter in the parent family, it works OK for 0° through 134°, but for 135° and above it adds 180° (i.e 135° becomes 315°, 200° becomes 20°).
    Do you have any insight on how to tell it that 135° really means 135°?
    Attached Files Attached Files