Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Material Editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Material Editor

Has anyone figured out the new material editor? WTF???

All my materials show gray in the editor like there isn't any image attached, but my realistic view shows materials correctly.

I need to change a material and can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. The material edito has been the same for ages, now they decide to change it. This is so frustrating.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material Editor

Well apparantly you now have to double click the material swatch, which then brings up the material editor, which shows the material attached. But EVERY swatch in the material browser is gray, so you have to read the names or click on several ones to get the correct one. Totally retarded. I'm assumng the materials should show up in the browser, but they aren't. Maybe it's just me??

EDIT*** Okay, other than the fact that all my swatches appear gray unless I make a change, then they show up in the browser, it actually flows better so far. I see the upside in it. Especailly if it's used from the beginning.
    Last edited by dzatto; 2010-04-09 at 03:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Well apparantly you now have to double click the material swatch, which then brings up the material editor, which shows the material attached. But EVERY swatch in the material browser is gray, so you have to read the names or click on several ones to get the correct one. Totally retarded. I'm assumng the materials should show up in the browser, but they aren't. Maybe it's just me??

EDIT*** Okay, other than the fact that all my swatches appear gray unless I make a change, then they show up in the browser, it actually flows better so far. I see the upside in it. Especailly if it's used from the beginning.
    I like it, much easier to use, with more friendly terms used for describing aspects of the material. Also, when you create a new material within the new system, it only gives you the items you need for that type of material IE glass will only show reflectivity and transparency in the editor, paint lets you choose the texture of the paint ect. I like it, so it might be worth it for me to sell 2011 to the rest of the crew here lol.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma2 View Post
    I like it, much easier to use, with more friendly terms used for describing aspects of the material. Also, when you create a new material within the new system, it only gives you the items you need for that type of material IE glass will only show reflectivity and transparency in the editor, paint lets you choose the texture of the paint ect. I like it, so it might be worth it for me to sell 2011 to the rest of the crew here lol.
    Yep, I noticed that also. Too bad I'm on my way to Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Yep, I noticed that also. Too bad I'm on my way to Revit.
    Revit has a similar interface. I have not messed with the material editor in Revit too much. My original "material interface" wish for ACA was to be similar to Revit's.

My office has not been able to justify taking the time and effort to move into Revit, so I think I will get to play with ACA2011 materials editor a bit more

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma2 View Post
    Revit has a similar interface. I have not messed with the material editor in Revit too much. My original "material interface" wish for ACA was to be similar to Revit's.

My office has not been able to justify taking the time and effort to move into Revit, so I think I will get to play with ACA2011 materials editor a bit more
    I hear ya. I'm the only designer in my office so it's an easy switch! lol

Login to Give a bone

I'm looking forward to it. If you want to create a new material. You first have to copy a material style, then go to acad's material editor to edit its material to match. This should bring everything into one environment.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. If you want to create a new material. You first have to copy a material style, then go to acad's material editor to edit its material to match. This should bring everything into one environment.
    i still had to export it to an active tool palette, then click on it to bring it into the drawing so I could assign it to an AEC object throught it's edit dialogue box. That's the part I don't get or like. If I create a material, then I obviously want to use it in the drawing.

Login to Give a bone

i still had to export it to an active tool palette, then click on it to bring it into the drawing so I could assign it to an AEC object throught it's edit dialogue box. That's the part I don't get or like. If I create a material, then I obviously want to use it in the drawing.
    Well, I still don't have 11 yet, so I'll have to wait and see. But from what I read, it is supposed to be easier.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Well, I still don't have 11 yet, so I'll have to wait and see. But from what I read, it is supposed to be easier.
    eh, I'm probably doing it wrong. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast