Thread: Wall fill patterns in Medium and Fine mode

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall fill patterns in Medium and Fine mode

I have created 3 custom wall types that are basically just 3 5/8" studs. The only difference is that they have different notes and references to gypsum board finish, but they don't show the finish. They are a typical wall, a 1 hour wall and a 2 hour wall.

In the type properties, I changed the coarse fill patterns to show a 1 hour wall pattern and 2 hour. So, in coarse mode the typical wall just shows the wall while the 1 hour and 2 hour show the corresponding patterns. My question is this: how do I get the fill patterns for my 1 hour 3 5/8" wall and 2 hour 3 5/8" wall to show in the medium or fine view setting? In course mode the patterns show, but in medium and fine they dissapear.

-dgt.mantis

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall fill patterns in Medium and Fine mode

Quote Originally Posted by dgt.mantis View Post
    I have created 3 custom wall types that are basically just 3 5/8" studs. The only difference is that they have different notes and references to gypsum board finish, but they don't show the finish. They are a typical wall, a 1 hour wall and a 2 hour wall.

In the type properties, I changed the coarse fill patterns to show a 1 hour wall pattern and 2 hour. So, in coarse mode the typical wall just shows the wall while the 1 hour and 2 hour show the corresponding patterns. My question is this: how do I get the fill patterns for my 1 hour 3 5/8" wall and 2 hour 3 5/8" wall to show in the medium or fine view setting? In course mode the patterns show, but in medium and fine they dissapear.

-dgt.mantis
    Assign the cut pattern as 1-hr or 2-hr based on the walls rating. It will show up in medium & fine detail.

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but where is the cut pattern located for my specific wall types? I know there is a cut pattern under Object styles>Walls, but this is a control at the family level correct?

Thanks for the help...and yes, I am a new user.

Regards,
    -dgt.mantis

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

you could also do a filter by the fire rating parameter. It will be view specific but the filter can easily applied to whichever view you would like it to show up in. This way it will show up in all the detail levels.

Login to Give a bone

Jmickledesign,
    Thanks for the input. I think assigning the cut pattern may be more what I am looking for, however could you walk me through setting up a filter?

Basically I am open to anything

Thanks

-d

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

There is really good info. in the help file on how to create these. What is nice is that you can set your representation to pretty much anything by any criteria that you want. You can also set your pattern to whatever color/hatch that you may want it to have.

If you have more questions after your read the help file do post. I will try and check in regularly.

Good Luck,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Wall fill patterns in Medium and Fine mode

Quote Originally Posted by Jmickledesign View Post
    There is really good info. in the help file on how to create these. What is nice is that you can set your representation to pretty much anything by any criteria that you want. You can also set your pattern to whatever color/hatch that you may want it to have.

If you have more questions after your read the help file do post. I will try and check in regularly.

Good Luck,
    Just a word of advice, there is a huge difference in the help file from 2009 to 2010. I noticed this when looking up 'Type Catalog' for a co-worker. 2010 does not have the same information, so I went to the 2009 to get what I needed.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

To change the wall material pattern:
    Select one of your walls, right click and choose Element Properties. Click on the Edit Type button. Under the Construction Heading, on the line for Structure click the Edit button to edit the structure of the wall. In the Edit Assembly Dialogue you can select the materials for each layer of the wall and assign materials with whatever hatch patterns you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images