Thread: plotting woes!

Login to Give a bone

Default plotting woes!

My company recently has been required to create electrical content for the purpose of job coordination. I have very little cad experience but so far have managed to muddle through it. I recently uploaded a drawing as a dwt format from Autocad mep on the A&E webpage and they printed it using their plotter. I want to put a header of sorts (not sure of the correct terminology) on my drawings stating my company name scale and other info but can't figure out how. I messed with the stamp option but it only displayed some basic text down in the left corner. Any help would would be greatly appricated.Thanks in advance. -E.Hall

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: plotting woes!

you probably need to be a little more specific about your objective but it sounds like you are trying to standardize your titleblock??
    ww
    Last edited by wrongway; 2012-02-21 at 10:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David please excuse my ignorance. That sounds exactly like what I am trying to accomplish. "standardizing my title block". There are a lot of aspects of the plotting I do not understand. I have issues plotting to a certain scale, the size of my paper was not the same as the other trades, and so on and so on. I made a title block Friday, but it was very generic. I drew a box around our co. name and included some text about the job under that, but it defiantly wont appear in the exact same place on different drawings.

Login to Give a bone

E.Hall, it sounds like you have a lot to learn, and we all started somewhere, and then some of us did not progress while others demonstrated amazing intuition.
    If you are under pressure for a deadline and for good presentation quality and content usable in a team environment, you should probably hire a draftsperson and save yourself a lot of headache.
    You could spend weeks developing a whole set of standards (after learning how to setup standards) for your company, or just keep it simply a titleblock and some basic defaults.
    anyway...
    open your titleblock dwt file with the open command and edit and save. then start a new drawing (dwg) based on that template (dwt) file.
    heres the process:
    Read the help file "start a drawing, use wizard to start a drawing".
    You will learn to start a new drawing using the wizard, and to use your template file for every new drawing. make sure the system variables STARTUP and FILEDIA are set to one so that the wizard dialogue box for a new drawing based on a template appears.
    at the command line type:
    startup , 1
    filedia, 1
    to set the system variables, then type:
    "new" and when the dialogue box comes up select your template dwt file. this will create a copy of your template file with the titleblock and name drawing1.dwg. when you edit and then close, you can save the file with a descriptive name.
    hth,
    David