Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FIRST...

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FIRST...

Quote Originally Posted by jleamy
    That's just the problem, it USED to be that good! Now it's, well, pretty bleepy. All that's left is Tech. I, Arch. I, and CAD I. That's it. No CAM, no possibility of continuing the program, nothing! It just angers me so much when I think of all of the benefits that I got from that curriculum, and they simply did away with it...bleep!
    that's ALL that's left?????????? holy buckets!!!!!!!!!! my son's scout den used to meet at the high school (until this year) & I could tell that the drafting/mechanical stuff is still as involved as it was AFTER I graduated! there were a few times we had to meet in the labs due to other stuff going on, but some of the projects that were in there..........I know that I'd never be able to do that! I had never had that kind or thorough instruction! as they progress, shouldn't the curriculums grow with the programs????????

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tdreibelbis
    as they progress, shouldn't the curriculums grow with the programs????????
    I'm sorry, you're using common sense. When dealing with my high school, never, ever use common sense...everything is more understandable when you don't....

I think one of the main things that happened is the head of the department (there were only three teachers!) left for a different school district, so they took that opportunity to destroy the program he had worked so hard on...still makes me queasy....who do those bleepin administrators think they are, anyway, deciding what the kids should and shouldn't be allowed to learn! This stuff is important, and isn't going anywhere but up...but nooooo, they wanted a pool!!! Bleep bleep bleepity bleep bleepers!
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jleamy
    Bleep bleep bleepity bleep bleepers!

Jen, why don't you let it out and tell us how you really feel.............
    Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sid.fontenot
    Jen, why don't you let it out and tell us how you really feel.............
    What, you mean you don't speak bleep-language? I'll send you an English/bleep dictionnary for Christmas!

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Alright, back in the dark ages when I was in H.S., girls were not ALLOWED to take drafting - or auto shop, print shop (the old fashioned kind with presses), welding/metal, woodworking, etc.
    And the guys in voc (like my hubby who was in the drafting curriculum) were not allowed to take typing or any other "girly" subjects. I was college prep and they FORCED me to take typing - for "something to fall back on". Fast forward a few years, and hubby was working on CAD and could have used those typing skills he wasn't allowed to acquire.
    Oh, and even though it was a public H.S., we weren't allowed to wear pants either, at least not until about my junior year. Though we could wear mini-skirts "up to there"! Go figure!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lafleur
    Alright, back in the dark ages when I was in H.S., girls were not ALLOWED to take drafting - or auto shop, print shop (the old fashioned kind with presses), welding/metal, woodworking, etc.
    And the guys in voc (like my hubby who was in the drafting curriculum) were not allowed to take typing or any other "girly" subjects. I was college prep and they FORCED me to take typing - for "something to fall back on". Fast forward a few years, and hubby was working on CAD and could have used those typing skills he wasn't allowed to acquire.
    Oh, and even though it was a public H.S., we weren't allowed to wear pants either, at least not until about my junior year. Though we could wear mini-skirts "up to there"! Go figure!
    .......................................................*stunned silence*.........................................................

Please tell me you've since gotten your revenge on all of the bleepin bleeps that made those asinine rules!

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Nah! Most of 'em are dead anyway! We're talking waaaayyyy back, here. We were only starting to know better. Actually, one girl begged her way into drafting my senior year (not me, btw). She was then accepted into Pratt for architecture. However, after a year, she became a flight attendant instead of an architect. She married one of her wealthy passengers. Don't know what she's doing now...but the Jag she drove to a class reunion was pretty sweet!
    And dear hubby was one of the first male library aides (to be near girls and out of class - no dummy). Changes came, but slowly. My younger brother took a class just for boys called "Bachelor Living" aka Home Ec,

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: FIRST...

Quote Originally Posted by mes0945
    Had Dean Kamen give the keynote speech during opening session at AU, and he put in a plug for this program... FIRST— For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

http://www.usfirst.org/index.html
    I was channel-surfing last night and tuned into pbs, and saw dean kamen. It was the tailend of a story on a regional FIRST competition... and there was a team from the high school I went to.

How cool is that? I wish I'd have been able to build a robot!!! ~pout~
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123