Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIRST...

Login to Give a bone

Wink FIRST...

Had Dean Kamen give the keynote speech during opening session at AU, and he put in a plug for this program... FIRST— For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

I was pretty intrigued by this, and in his talk he was saying that the us isn't producing nearly as many engineers, technical people, etc, as other countries. He especially mentioned women and minorities not knowing about the opportunities out there. And, as a woman, of course, I agreed that it is important to encourage everyone. (ladies, of course, I didn't find out till I was almost graduated, but, even the community college I went to offered scholarships for minorities in certain fields, and being a woman in drafting/engineering programs would qualify for them...)

anyone done any volunteer work with them, or care to comment on the competitions they hold or the other programs?

http://www.usfirst.org/index.html
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2004-12-08 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added link
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FIRST...

I second Melanie's praise for Dean's speech, (sorry I couldn't resist). Seriously, I am also looking for information to apply up here across the boarder. Our high schools & colleges don't take the time or the money to promote technical opportunities as I feel they should.

Login to Give a bone

Truthfully, this is the first (*winces* - no pun intended!) I've heard of them. They're definately needed in this country, though...says one of the women in the minority...

Ready for a good one? My high school had a fabulous technology/engineering program when I went there. That's where I got into board drafting, then CAD. Loved it! That program and the teachers in it are what got me into this field. My sister goes there now (no interest in CAD though...oh well...) so we still get the newsletter. Last year, they cut 2/3rds of the tech classes - Tech. drafting II and III are gone, CAD II and III are gone, CAM is completely gone, and Arch. drafting II and III are gone, leaving Tech./Arch. I and CAD I! Made me sick to my stomach....but hey, the school has a new swimming pool! Grrrr....

It's nice to see that there are people out there trying to keep technology alive!
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: FIRST...

Quote Originally Posted by jleamy
    Truthfully, this is the first (*winces* - no pun intended!) I've heard of them. They're definately needed in this country, though...says one of the women in the minority...

Ready for a good one? My high school had a fabulous technology/engineering program when I went there. That's where I got into board drafting, then CAD. Loved it! That program and the teachers in it are what got me into this field. My sister goes there now (no interest in CAD though...oh well...) so we still get the newsletter. Last year, they cut 2/3rds of the tech classes - Tech. drafting II and III are gone, CAD II and III are gone, CAM is completely gone, and Arch. drafting II and III are gone, leaving Tech./Arch. I and CAD I! Made me sick to my stomach....but hey, the school has a new swimming pool! Grrrr....

It's nice to see that there are people out there trying to keep technology alive!
    our high school program was so so, more dealing with the facilities than the curriculum.

But, when I was graduating, they were building a new high school and their tech labs are great. The teacher who came in my 2nd year in drafting started up stuff like vica (vocational industrial clubs of america) and took some of us to some drafting competitions (i got 4th in one, and 1st in another, I rock.)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mes0945
    our high school program was so so, more dealing with the facilities than the curriculum.

But, when I was graduating, they were building a new high school and their tech labs are great. The teacher who came in my 2nd year in drafting started up stuff like vica (vocational industrial clubs of america) and took some of us to some drafting competitions (i got 4th in one, and 1st in another, I rock.)
    My high school has a less then so so tech program. Luckily they teamed up with the local vocational school. They allowed students to take classes at the vocational school instead of at the high school. In the morning I had regular high school classes, and in the afternoon I had drafting.

I was also a member of vica. Never was able to go to the drafting competitions I was always the alternate if someone couldn't make it.

Login to Give a bone

I took Industrial Arts back in high school as well, focusing on Technical/Architectural drafting. These programs that they have on the Discovery channel now; Such as Monster Garage, and American Chopper, I wish they had on when I was going into High School, it certainly makes you appreciate metal shop even more..

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wmazzabufi
    These programs that they have on the Discovery channel now; Such as Monster Garage, and American Chopper, I wish they had on when I was going into High School, it certainly makes you appreciate metal shop even more..
    All I ever made in metal shop was a paperweight....a very nice, grooved, lathed to perfection, textured paperweight, but a paperweight nonetheless....
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jleamy
    All I ever made in metal shop was a paperweight....a very nice, grooved, lathed to perfection, textured paperweight, but a paperweight nonetheless....
    Sounds like you missed your calling!!

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: FIRST...

Quote Originally Posted by wmazzabufi
    I took Industrial Arts back in high school as well, focusing on Technical/Architectural drafting. These programs that they have on the Discovery channel now; Such as Monster Garage, and American Chopper, I wish they had on when I was going into High School, it certainly makes you appreciate metal shop even more..
    that makes me sad. I took drafting because there were no class fees (there were in home ec, believe it or not). I wanted to take one of the shop classes but, they all had fees to cover the materials, etc.

~sniff~ I still don't know how to properly utilize a miter saw ~sobbing in hands~ what must you think of me!?!?!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Class fees? for shop classes? never heard of it.....for drafting obviously we didnt need it, all that was required was to buy some simple drafting tools at the local store....Tools were already provided for Power Mechanics/Automechanics...and im not sure what the deal was for Metal shop, but im sure they had there own there as well....same thing with Graphic arts class....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast