Thread: Autodesk Inventor 2010 and 2011 Conflicting

Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Inventor 2010 and 2011 Conflicting

I have Autodesk Inventor 2010 and 2011 installed on a home computer and whenever I open one, the other gives the reregistration error.

I have googled and found this is mainly due the the libraries and software conflicting.

My question is: Is there a known hotfix to remedy the conflicting software, or is there a way modify the software so that it does not give the error?

If not, is there a way to save 2011 files in a 2010 format? I would uninstall 2010, except my school uses 2010 and I have not found a way to edit 2011 files in 2010. Is this possible?

I apologize if my post is a bit confusing or redundant, but I am just starting to use inventor and have much to learn.

Any Help Would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    -Kyle

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Inventor 2010 and 2011 Conflicting

>Is there a known hotfix to remedy...

I've never known this to be a problem, and I've been using Inventor since v7.

When you have more than one version on your machine (I do) and you start a version different than the last version you used it should have a pop up that lets you know that it is going to edit the Registry. You click OK and it should load and work normally. This is normal behavior with multiple versions.

You cannot save files backwards as native format but you can Save Copy At Type STEP (*.stp) to open in older releases. You might also want to download free Feature Recognition add-in from http://labs.autodesk.com

Login to Give a bone

RESOLVED!!!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro X64, and when I click to run the other version, it gives me an error.

After Clicking that a couple of times, it says that processes are interfering with inventor and must close to continue, yet it gives access denied even though I am on an admin account.

After thinking about what you said, I realized that Inventor was not in fact the problem, it was user account control and windows itself.

FIX for running more than one version of Inventor on Windows Vista (If Applicable) and Windows 7:

Fix 1 - Requires UAC consent

Step 1: Create a shortcut for Both Versions of Inventor you are planning on running.
    Step 2: Right Click on the shortcut and select Properties
    Step 3: Under the compatibility tab, Check the check box that says "Run this Program as an Administrator"
    Step 4: Click Ok and you are done! - NOTE: User Account Control will prompt for consent or credentials if you have it turned on. Click Yes when UAC Prompts for inventor.exe

Fix 2 - Using Task Scheduler - Recommended for Experienced Users only

- NOTE - THIS FIX will NOT Trigger UAC,
    Making this a good work around for people using non admin accounts

See the Microsoft Technet Article Here

Follow the Steps and Create 2 Tasks.
    1 for each Version you plan on running.
    Last edited by kyle1811; 2010-04-21 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Question Resolved

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Good to hear you got it resolved. I think most people running Inventor disable UAC during install (per the installation instructions) and don't turn it back on.

Login to Give a bone

I was thinking what had changed about the registry between Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 and realized that Running any Program which changes the registry will trigger a UAC elevation request regardless unless it is digitally signed by microsoft.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1811 View Post
    RESOLVED!!!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro X64, and when I click to run the other version, it gives me an error.

After Clicking that a couple of times, it says that processes are interfering with inventor and must close to continue, yet it gives access denied even though I am on an admin account.

After thinking about what you said, I realized that Inventor was not in fact the problem, it was user account control and windows itself.

FIX for running more than one version of Inventor on Windows Vista (If Applicable) and Windows 7:

Fix 1 - Requires UAC consent

Step 1: Create a shortcut for Both Versions of Inventor you are planning on running.
    Step 2: Right Click on the shortcut and select Properties
    Step 3: Under the compatibility tab, Check the check box that says "Run this Program as an Administrator"
    Step 4: Click Ok and you are done! - NOTE: User Account Control will prompt for consent or credentials if you have it turned on. Click Yes when UAC Prompts for inventor.exe

Fix 2 - Using Task Scheduler - Recommended for Experienced Users only

- NOTE - THIS FIX will NOT Trigger UAC,
    Making this a good work around for people using non admin accounts

See the Microsoft Technet Article Here

Follow the Steps and Create 2 Tasks.
    1 for each Version you plan on running.
    Thanks for the solution provided.
    I also have the Win7 64bit pro platform & have Inventor v2010 & v2011 installed.
    I have no such problem so far - can't be confident for tomorrow!

Just one question:
    I would like to install the MDT 2009 (compatible with Inventor pro package v2010) but without success.
    I guess this version can't be run on the Win7 64bit platform.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

I dont currently have MDT 2009 installed, but you might want to take a look at this discussion on Autodesk's Website. I currently Have 3dmax, Maya, Inventor 2011 and 2010, and Design Review 2010 and 2011. All of them are working well on Windows 7 Pro X64 atm.

Login to Give a bone

I don't Personally have MDT 2009 installed on my Computer. I have Inventor 2010 and 2011, Maya 2010, 3dMax 2010, Toxik 2010, DWG 2010 and 2011 and have not had a problem with any of them on windows 7 except for inventor. I would look here at this post on autodesk's website.

Login to Give a bone

I don't have MDT 2009 installed. I have Inventor 2011&2010, Maya 2010, 3dMax 2010, Auto Cad Mechanical 2011, DWG 2010 and 2011 and Have not had any problems on Windows 7 Professional X64.

I would look at this discussion on Autodesk's Forum's if you have not already.

Sorry if that doesn't help, but i'm just starting to learn the very basics of inventor and other autodesk products, so i'm sorry if I can't help.
    -Kyle
    Last edited by kyle1811; 2010-04-23 at 06:53 PM.