Thread: Changing Level Elevations

Login to Give a bone

Default Changing Level Elevations

We have a project that is fairly well along. It was recently discovered that the original survey was off by almost 9 feet. The model is correct, except that the Level Elevations are incorrect. When we tried to relocate the Project Location vertically, it moved the project the correct direction and distance, but did not change the actual elevations of the levels. We need for example, a level that says 4', to say 13'6". Is there a "simple" way of just changing the project's elevation globally?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Changing Level Elevations

Go to the Element Properties of the Level and change the Elevation Base to "Shared".

Login to Give a bone

Excellent! That did the trick. Thank you MUCH!!!!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    Go to the Element Properties of the Level and change the Elevation Base to "Shared".
    We have a project in which we relocated to a shared elevation height (65300mm). But now when we change Level's elevation property back to Project It still shows the shared height values (65300) instead of 0.0. Any help please?

Thanks in anticipation.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pfaudler View Post
    We have a project in which we relocated to a shared elevation height (65300mm). But now when we change Level's elevation property back to Project It still shows the shared height values (65300) instead of 0.0. Any help please?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Hi pfaudler,

The project elevation base will display the set height - ie 65300

One uses the shared elevation base to achieve what you are after.

Select the coordinates drop down button in the manage tab
    Select specify location at a point - hover around the end of the level line which is to be set to 0.0 A dot will appear - click the dot and in the bottom pane change the reported elevation to 0.0

Hopefully all should be well.

Cheers,

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot Ian.

It did work. But its strange. If I am not wrong it always used to show 0.0 with Project Elevation base and true height value with Shared Elevation base. This is now reverse, No? Or am i missing something here?

We always start project with 0.0 base (project & shared) and once we know the buildling levels we go to Elevation/Seciton view and pick one of the levels and changes its Elevation base to SHARED. We then "Relocate Project" and move it vertically up by the known height. After this when we change Level's Elevation Base to PROJECT, It used to show 0.0 instead of true height. But with 2010 this doesnt seem to work. I need to get my head around PROJECT BASE, SURVEY POINT, and SHARED LEVEL.

Is this same in 2011? (unfortunately i am downloading 2011 as i write this email now so haven't had a look at it. but quite excited about getting my hands on it).

Login to Give a bone

Ian,

Please see attached file the explanation. If you change Level's Elevation Base to SHARED it shows true height (1000) and change it back to PROJECT and it shows 0.0. This is what I want to get into the project file that I was talking in my previous post.

Thanks in anticipation.

regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I had a quick look at the file, from what I could see, there is only one level type which is currently set to project and the level is set at 0.0

In my template file I have two level types set up (Use the duplicate process in the edit type), one is set to project and the other is set to shared. This way I can show my levels as I wish either with 0.0 as the ground floor level or the actual level as nominated by the land surveyor.

As I set this up in my template file a few years back now I am working somewhat from memory, which can indeed be faulty, but I thought that the project elevation base would always show whatever the project elevation was set at and that one used the shared type to get a 0.0 for the level which is actually set to another height.

Cheers,

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Ian for your quick responses.

I purged the file before i uploaded it here hence do not have "shared datum" level type in this file. But you can see that if we change Elevation to "Shared" It shows shared (true height) value and when we change it back to Project it shows 0.0.

In our existing project file, both SHARED and PROJECT elevation bases show the same value. Strange. I have got no clue what is happening. Could it be that the project was moved (instead of relocated) by the user and therefore we get similar values for SHARED and PROJECT elevation base?

Any help anyone?

Thanks in anticipation.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pfaudler View Post
    Thanks Ian for your quick responses.

I purged the file before i uploaded it here hence do not have "shared datum" level type in this file. But you can see that if we change Elevation to "Shared" It shows shared (true height) value and when we change it back to Project it shows 0.0.

In our existing project file, both SHARED and PROJECT elevation bases show the same value. Strange. I have got no clue what is happening. Could it be that the project was moved (instead of relocated) by the user and therefore we get similar values for SHARED and PROJECT elevation base?

Any help anyone?

Thanks in anticipation.
    If the project is modelled at 0.0 then both the project and shared elevation bases would naturally show the same.

A fuller description of how I have my template file set up & the work flow which follows from it:

Levels:
    * Datum set to 0.0 (Sea Level) - project elevation base
    * GFL set at an arbitary height above Datum - Shared Elevation Base
    * CL & any other levels as per GFL above

WorkFlow:
    * Model topography at abolute level as per the land surveyors info
    * Move GFL level & all other levels to correct location relative to the topography
    * Specify location at a point (noted above) and specify GFL as 0.0 Shared Elevation Base

Having done this, my levels will read as project levels 0.0 GFL - 2.7 CL etc. I can now use the spot elevation tool (which is set to project elevation base) to report the physical level for any element or level in the project.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ian