Thread: ARSA 2011 vs. SAP2000 v.14

Login to Give a bone

Default ARSA 2011 vs. SAP2000 v.14

I have a feeling that SAP2000 is progressing much faster than Robot. There are so many new features implemented in latest version of SAP2000 (http://www.csiberkeley.com/SAP/SAP_features.html) including analysis and design according to latest code provisions.
    Also, I think that many features for dynamic analyses are implemented in SAP in comparison to Robot, like: Frequency domain, Time history, Nonlinear Time history with many options. Not to mention: base isolators, dampers, layered shell elements etc.
    The design is improved, by including: Design for Biaxial-Moment/Axial-Load Interaction, Seismic Check of Beam/Column Joints in Concrete Frames, Automated Effects of Panel-Zone Deformations on Lateral Drift etc.

Why is Robot lacking of those features? When will Autodesk improve the software and be able to compete with SAP?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ARSA 2011 vs. SAP2000 v.14

Quote Originally Posted by medo View Post
    I have a feeling that SAP2000 is progressing much faster than Robot. There are so many new features implemented in latest version of SAP2000 (http://www.csiberkeley.com/SAP/SAP_features.html) including analysis and design according to latest code provisions.
    Also, I think that many features for dynamic analyses are implemented in SAP in comparison to Robot, like: Frequency domain, Time history, Nonlinear Time history with many options. Not to mention: base isolators, dampers, layered shell elements etc.
    The design is improved, by including: Design for Biaxial-Moment/Axial-Load Interaction, Seismic Check of Beam/Column Joints in Concrete Frames, Automated Effects of Panel-Zone Deformations on Lateral Drift etc.

Why is Robot lacking of those features? When will Autodesk improve the software and be able to compete with SAP?
    Don't compare SAP2000 with Robot....because is not that friendly user, it don't have any steel design options like RSA has, and you can find a lot of things that makes Robot better than SAP2000.

Login to Give a bone

I must compare it with something and I think SAP is the obvious candidate as it is widely used. I am not a SAP user, but please name a few advantages over ARSA?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

To pascal.bogdan
    My dear, can u tell me which are that things that makes Robot better than SAP2000.

Without intence to ofend you.
    I have used for lot time Robot and SAP and i know what can make Robot and what can make SAP.

As for mee Robot have only one avantage from SAP.
    The power of robot to generate wide variety of mesh and also automaticlly is advantage from SAP.

I agree with medo, why autodesk do not incorporate more analysis capabylities into robot,
    For any software is more more crucial to have posibility to define USER DEFINED CROSS SECTION, for ex.(user defined reinforced concrete section including design).

I agree also with you in some aspects that Robot is good software, but the developers must work very very much if they want to maka robot the first software in the world.
    I know that this will happen, but i dont know when, and im weiting.

Best Regards

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    another issue is the deformation movement. i have seen other programs doing the seismic, even simple deformation action better. in robot it is like a the movement has a beginning then an ending point. then jump to the beggining again. why they don't do it continuos back and forward?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I believe autodesk doesn't care about robot as much as they care about Revit and other product families. The just wanted to have an official analysis program for their BIM modeling and it seems now they have one, so they can make Revit BIM modeling more popular. They don't seem to have a serious will for making a big change in Robot.
    But yet I believe robot has got much better interface in compare to berkeley products.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

To smm.144.
    I completly agree with you that autodesk doesn't care about robot as much as they care about Revit and other product families althought they have spent 54 milion ( euro or dollar i dont know exactly).
    But i would like to belive that autodesk will strongly develop Robot, and Robot in next 5 years will be a lider software for structural engineering.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by length zero View Post
    To pascal.bogdan
    My dear, can u tell me which are that things that makes Robot better than SAP2000.

Without intence to ofend you.
    I have used for lot time Robot and SAP and i know what can make Robot and what can make SAP.

As for mee Robot have only one avantage from SAP.
    The power of robot to generate wide variety of mesh and also automaticlly is advantage from SAP.

I agree with medo, why autodesk do not incorporate more analysis capabylities into robot,
    For any software is more more crucial to have posibility to define USER DEFINED CROSS SECTION, for ex.(user defined reinforced concrete section including design).

I agree also with you in some aspects that Robot is good software, but the developers must work very very much if they want to maka robot the first software in the world.
    I know that this will happen, but i dont know when, and im weiting.

Best Regards
    Sorry Lenght Zero, you are right about what you said and I was completely wrong with my affirmation. Sap2000 is way better than Robot in many ways. One thing they have to improve at SAP2000: the user interface. It is very hard to model with Sap2000, Robot is much easier.
    I will start to study SAP2000 and hope soon I will be able to do with it what I can do with Robot.

Regards!