Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grid dimension to show up in every level and elevation the same style

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default grid dimension to show up in every level and elevation the same style

Is there a way I can make the grid line, dimension to show up exactly the same manner and location in all levels and elevations?

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: grid dimension to show up in every level and elevation the same style

A simple method is to group the dimensions and copy-paste to the views you want them to appear in - then if you change the location of the dims, or anything else (while in group edit mode) it will change everywhere

Ditto for dimensions between levels in elevations

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: grid dimension to show up in every level and elevation the same style

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    A simple method is to group the dimensions and copy-paste to the views you want them to appear in...
    But only if you Group the grids or levels as well - you cannot just group the dimensions on their own (unless I'm missing something?). You have to select the grids and dimensions, then Group, and that will create an Attached Group that can be assigned to the grids in each view.

When doing the Levels, the dimensions will only appear in views that are parallel to the view in which you created the group.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfriesen View Post
    But only if you Group the grids or levels as well - you cannot just group the dimensions on their own (unless I'm missing something?). You have to select the grids and dimensions, then Group, and that will create an Attached Group that can be assigned to the grids in each view.

When doing the Levels, the dimensions will only appear in views that are parallel to the view in which you created the group.
    Oh- I should have thought about it a bit more - youre right, you cant group the dims by themselfs - what about drawing litlle detail lines, and dimensioning them - group as per my first suggestion? Unfortunately you cant lock the detail lines to the grid lines - it breaks when moving the gridline.....

A bit of a pain...so better to just dim up all the gridlines and then just copypaste into all of your views.....

Login to Give a bone

Let me try to understand correctly. So you are saying to group both dimension and grid together. And attach the group to each view individually?

All I try to acheive is this:

Just like the AutoCAD Xref. You create a file with just grid and associated dimensions. (One for the floor plan, one for the elevation.)

You xref this file to each floor plan and elevation. Whatever changes you make down the road, you only have to do it once in the xref file, and that's it.

I'm trying to achieve this same thing in Revit. I want to change only once and it applies to all. I don't want to make the changes and copy/paste into the other views.

Thanks in advance.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

First- Its not AutoCAD. Its not going to work just like autoCAD. Dimensions and Annotations do not belong to one "hyper modelspace" the way they do in AutoCAd and ACA. So its a little different.

Thats said, it CAN be done with the first suggestion of a group. (You dont need to draw detail lines, and please dont... Itll bite you later.)

Draw the Grids, and dimension them. Select ALL of it, and group. It will make a Model Group, and a Detail Group. You WILL have to make a seperate detail group in elevation than in plan, because its a different orientation.

But then, when you edit the Detail group, it will update in any view that youve put it in. Just like having to Link in the XR, you will have to place the Attached Detail Group of the Model group, in the relevant views.

Grouping the grids themselves is really only to let them associate with the detail group. Grids in Revit already prepopulate in the whole model. Since its NOT "xref" also remember that Propogate Extents is how you take care of your grid head offsets, since the Model Group "doesnt care" about grid head alignments. Thats a seperate sitch.

Login to Give a bone

Your suggestion sounds like a good strategy. I just gave it a try.

When I tried to created a group with the grid lines and the associated dimensions selected, there's a dialog box popped up. Do I need to check the box regarding "Open in group editor"?

Also one more question:
    The dimension between a grid line and the property lines. Should I include the property lines within the group as well?

Thanks for the suggestion once again, I really appreciate that.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another suggestion is: provide horizontal dimension in plan views and vertical dimensions in sections and elevations. In other words, dimension between grids should go only in plan views. Dimensioning grids in sections and elevation is an unnecessary repetition of information, which should be avoided; each type of drawing serves a different purpose.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by diesellam View Post
    Your suggestion sounds like a good strategy. I just gave it a try.

When I tried to created a group with the grid lines and the associated dimensions selected, there's a dialog box popped up. Do I need to check the box regarding "Open in group editor"?

Also one more question:
    The dimension between a grid line and the property lines. Should I include the property lines within the group as well?

Thanks for the suggestion once again, I really appreciate that.
    Anything that you want the dimension to reference, has to be a part of that group. Or it wont include it.

The dialogu box is because youre making TWO groups, one a "Model" and one a "Detail."

IE: Go to another plan view after youve made the group. The dimensions wont be there. But then click on the grids (model group) ancd in the ribbon youll see "Attached detail groups." If you press that, you can tell this VIEW to show the DETAIL group.

Its HUGELY powerful, becuase you can have many different levels of dimensioning tied to that model group, and you can show them at various plans.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    First- Its not AutoCAD. Its not going to work just like autoCAD. Dimensions and Annotations do not belong to one "hyper modelspace" the way they do in AutoCAd and ACA. So its a little different.

Thats said, it CAN be done with the first suggestion of a group. (You dont need to draw detail lines, and please dont... Itll bite you later.)

Draw the Grids, and dimension them. Select ALL of it, and group. It will make a Model Group, and a Detail Group. You WILL have to make a seperate detail group in elevation than in plan, because its a different orientation.

But then, when you edit the Detail group, it will update in any view that youve put it in. Just like having to Link in the XR, you will have to place the Attached Detail Group of the Model group, in the relevant views.

Grouping the grids themselves is really only to let them associate with the detail group. Grids in Revit already prepopulate in the whole model. Since its NOT "xref" also remember that Propogate Extents is how you take care of your grid head offsets, since the Model Group "doesnt care" about grid head alignments. Thats a seperate sitch.
    Im not sure this works - how do you paste the group into other levels without it duplicating the grid lines?
    (edit) Sorry - just read your answer above! I never knew you could do that! Learn something everyday.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast