Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: job security!

Login to Give a bone

Cool job security!

So a client wants me to send him my autoCAD files for a job I did, but I am afraid that he will send them to other architects to use. How can I prevent this? Is there a way to make the drawingd un-editable?
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: job security!

First, what does your contract explicitly state about the deliverables? If the DWG files are part of the deliverable your client has the right to expect unlocked drawing files.

Otherwise, see if you can send DWF files. Recent versions of AutoCAD can attach a DWF similar to an XRef.

Or you could try CADLock's CADVault product.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

First of all, nice Bill the Cat!
    The DWG's are not part of the contract, but its a client that we would like to keep happy, while still protecting ourselves... the fact that he now wants the autocad files, after a few years of service, is kind of a red flag to his intentions... maybe we will just put everything on layer 0 and have whoever he is forwarding them to try to sort it out!
    Thanks...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwilber View Post
    The DWG's are not part of the contract, but its a client that we would like to keep happy, while still protecting ourselves... the fact that he now wants the autocad files, after a few years of service, is kind of a red flag to his intentions... maybe we will just put everything on layer 0 and have whoever he is forwarding them to try to sort it out!
    If the DWGs were not part of the deliverable then I would send DWF files. The client could still use them as backgrounds, view/plot them, and have layer control if you publish them that way.

Thanks! Not too many these days know who is Bill.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Having worked at a firm where we do a lot of government stuff, I'd say ultimately it is up to the relationship between you and your client. We are not required by the base contract to submit our cad files to the owner. However, we do use this as an opportunity to go after "additional services" and get more fees for providing them. Not knowing your particular situation, it's hard to say what you should do.

As for Bill the Cat - Ack!

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There was a way of inserting the drawing as a block then getting CAD to forget its name.
    If anybody can remember how or if this still works in upto date versions.

Login to Give a bone

The DWG's are not part of the contract, but its a client that we would like to keep happy, while still protecting ourselves...
    If you want to keep him happy, then don't do things to the dwg files that render them less usable. i.e. don't crash them, don't explode everything, don't move everything to layer zero. Do talk to him, and find out why he now wants dwg files. archives? facility management? cost estimating? value engineering? he want's a new architect because your service doesn't meet his needs? Seems like you're presuming the latter, and that may not be the case.

I can pretty much guarantee than any sub who deliberately delivered crippled drawings here could count on seeing his last check from us.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    If you want to keep him happy, then don't do things to the dwg files that render them less usable. i.e. don't crash them, don't explode everything, don't move everything to layer zero. Do talk to him, and find out why he now wants dwg files
    I agree 100%. You (the OP) are in here asking peers what to do, but you should be talking to your client. This is between you and them. Sure, someone in here can tell you how to make the DWG file virtually worthless, but is that what you really want to do? I doubt it.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

We just got 3rd party drawings, via the client, in order to continue a project. EVERYTHING has been dropped on to layer zero and exploded.

My POV is that the client paid to have this work done and the original DWG files would have been formated for specific submission to the municipality. The original company took the time and effort to strip these drawings down to the point that they pretty much have to be redone.

I've also dealt with an architectural company that used a Mac-based CAD system and stripped everything to layer 0 as well. When contacted, with me asking about possible export issues, I was informed that this was common practice with the company.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by s_morgan_b View Post
    ... My POV is that the client paid to have this work done ....
    That's always been my opinion but I have seemed to be in a small minority.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast