Thread: HP Designjet paper size problem

Login to Give a bone

Default HP Designjet paper size problem

My office was just upgraded from an HP Designjet 1050C plus to an HP Designjet T1120 ps. When plotting with our old plotter, we were able to choose from a whole list of ANSI and ARCH sheet sizes, as well as create custom sheet sizes if plotting something special. With the new plotter, none of the old sheet sizes are there, except some of the ARCH sizes, however, there are a lot of weird (to me) sizes in my new list. That would not be bad, except it will not let us create custom paper sizes. Our IT person (NMCI) does not seem to have an answer, because he is a general IT guy, and does not specialize in AutoCAD and its issues.

Is there somewhere in ACAD that I should be looking for this?

Thanks.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: HP Designjet paper size problem

You will need to create a PC3 file for the plotter, you can either create this on each computer or do it once as a shared/network file.

Go the the modify page setup dialogue box, select the printer icon on the list and click properties. On the Device and Document Settings tab you can add and filter paper sizes as required.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have stated before, I am using AutoCAD 2008 on Windows XP. I do not know if that changes anything in your reply, but I figured I would put that out there.

Is the Modify Page Setup Dialogue the same as the Page Setup Manager that I get when I right-click a Layout and select Page Setup Manager from the list or is it the Plotter Manager found under File? If I pick the plotter and then click Properties I do not get a Device and Document Settings tab. I do if I double-click the plotter icon. It will not let me bring in any new paper sizes, of course, I am probably doing something wrong.

I guess you can see I am used to having everything already set up and running, I just draw and plot. Thanks for your help.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The plotter manager under the file drop down gives you a list of the PC3 files already there, you could edit them if there is on set up.

Otherwise the page setup, via a right click on a layout tab is where I meant. I'm not sure why it's not showing up.

Depending on the print driver you may also be able to add paper sizes in windows via the control panel, click printers, then right click the HP T1120 and pick properties, there should be a paper/quality tab which has a custom button where you can select paper sizes.

Other than that, not sure what else to try, tell IT dept to sort it, tell them it's a plotter problem not an Autocad problem.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Are you using the Windows driver for the HP? Or are you using a HDI driver direct through ACad? The 1st is a bit complex when making & changing custom paper sizes. The 2nd is probably how your old plotter was set up. I know that HP recommends using the Windows driver instead, but I still prefer the HDI since it's easier to use from ACad (not to mention more customizable).

In either case, it's highly recommended to have a PC3 configuration file setup for ACad's printers. I even check the "Hide system printers" in the Options --> Plot and Publish, so I don't per accident choose a driver without a PC3. In it you can filter / modify standard paper sizes ... well, modify their bleed margins. As well as setup custom sizes if you're using the HDI driver.

As an example, we've got an Océ TDS600. The HDI driver allows me to filter any combination of standard sizes (we generally only use the common ISO sizes ... so it's A0, A1, A2, A3 & A4). But I've also got banner sizes A0+'s with longer lengths. If I use the Windows driver, the custom sizes are all grayed out, and I can only create one single custom size using the Custom Properties, which brings up the Windows Printer Driver Properties (which differs greatly between models / brands). Not to mention, if I use the windows driver it doesn't automatically rotate the page to save paper.

Login to Give a bone

I am very grateful for the help that has been offered. Please see the attached files, showing the Custom Properties Dialogue Box that is desired (had on previous plotter) and the one that I am actually getting. Maybe I am just stubborn and need to learn to adapt to changes better. Maybe I am not very good at explaining my problems. I know for a fact that I am not very familiar with creating/editing pc3 files. I am studying that, as I have been investigating HDI drivers.

It is bad enough that IT here does not understand, but worse that I can not make him/her understand.

FYI, the image on the right is what I would like to have show up.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nnsycadder; 2010-05-14 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info needed

Login to Give a bone

The Document size box should hold a list of standard paper sizes. If not, perhaps you should re-install the printer drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I am also on NMCI using AutoCAD.. We have had plotter problems since we received our systems.. Plus problems with the net.frameworks.. Every time I call the help desk they never correct the problems.. We have been asking what version is the lastest but no one can answer. We currently have 2008. What version are you using?