See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Duplicate Views - Detailing versus Dependent

Login to Give a bone

Question Duplicate Views - Detailing versus Dependent

Could someone please explain what some of the differences, benefits or shortfalls of using Duplicating Views as "Duplicate with Detailing" versus " Duplicate as a Dependent"?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duplicate Views - Detailing versus Dependent

Theyre completely different.

With Detailing- A ONE INSTANT connection. Once the view is created, they no longer have any ties in terms of annotations, detail components, or view settings. It COPIES a view.

As dependant- They are permenantly tied in all things except crop region. Scale, annotations, Object visibility settings, object hides, detail components, dimensions, etc. Everything is the same about them (including scale) besides the crop region/scope box.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Duplicate with Detailing will make a copy of the view that includes all and any detail components, detail lines, and annotations (I believe). You'll see a new view in the project browser that says Copy of ****.
    If you chose Duplicate as Dependent, it will also make a exact copy of the view, but instead of making and independent view in the project browser it will make a new that is a "child" of the original view. It's my understanding that if you change view properties, or add detail to views that are set up as "dependent" then the changes are reflected in both views. Whereas a copy made using the Duplicate as Detailing will not affect the original view the copy was made from.
    The Duplicate as Dependent is useful for creating plans where you need to us a Match Line to split the view over multiple sheets. When you have two views that were created using the Dependent option a matchline can be used and the two views will be "locked" together appropriately (view settings, view range, visibility graphics, etc. will be the same between views)

Login to Give a bone

Shortfall: If you are planning on duplicating views for addenda, both dependent and 'duplicate with detailing' will double up your bugs in plans and sections. You can manage this by implementing a detail phase or, my favorite, implement the 'hide at scales courser than' parameter in a view template for addenda views only. Doing either of these options will eliminate double bugs keeping your conformed set clean of views for addenda.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback! Just so I'm clear when you say "double bugs", I believe you are referring to the double up of plans and sections generated when using 'duplicate with detailing', is that correct? I haven't encountered this using 'dependent' option, but maybe I'm missing something.