Thread: coordinate system problem

Login to Give a bone

Angry coordinate system problem

Our surveyor sent an updated survey that is now on a different coordinate system - which means I have to redo my all base sheets and plot sheets, since all of my info was based on the prior survey and is now 7,000,000' to the west of the new survey. Does anyone have a clever way around this? I have some layer settings done in the viewports, so if I redefine the views in modelspace I lose all that information. Short of manually moving everything (groan) I can't figure out a quick way to do it. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: coordinate system problem

You can XRef the new data with an insertion point that is 7,000,000' west.

If you have AutoCAD Map, you could reproject the data, if the 2 systems are defined.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply, Scott. Too bad I don't have AutoCAD Map.

And I understand I could just move the xref, but contractors input data directly from our drawings into their GPS for field-location of built objects, so we can't move the survey.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Login to Give a bone

Attach (not overlay) the new survey as an xref into the original survey drawing. Adjust to fit the right placement. It should then update all of your drawings in which you have referenced the original survey. You can then add / update and changes in the new survey drawing.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but if I xref in the new survey and adjust it to the placement of the old one, all of my drawings are still on the old coordinate system - which means contractors will get coordinates generated based on the old (and incorrect) system, not the new one, right?

Login to Give a bone

Are you giving the contractors your drawings? You could use a stake out drawing referencing your design information (in the correct location of course).

Or are you annotating the coordinates on your plans based on your design information? That will be a bit more work.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

What coordinate system is this? I am not familiar with any projection that has such large easting values. It implies that the central meridian is a long ways away.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: coordinate system problem

Supposedly Oregon state plane N - I think NAD83 . (switch to Scotty Doohan accent - "I'm a landscape architect, man, not a bloody surveyor".)

Login to Give a bone

If you do choose to move your old data to match the new (which I strongly discourage), you can unlock your viewports and -PAN each one 7000000 west.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox View Post
    If you do choose to move your old data to match the new (which I strongly discourage), you can unlock your viewports and -PAN each one 7000000 west.
    What about making a named view similar to the current view at the location of the new survey? You would still need to adjust the annotation.
    jUSt