Thread: Dynamic Block with Walls - Cleanup Problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block with Walls - Cleanup Problem

I work for a residential production builder and today wanted to see how it would work if I created a dynamic block for a couple of floor plan options on a Second Floor.

The dynamic block has (4) four visibility states and all appeared to be fine. The walls also cleaned up when I created the block and arranged the visibility. After saving the dynamic block and cycling through the visibility states to verify it worked I was ready to then edit the dynamic block to move the individual options for each visibility state on top of each other so it will line up with the rest of the Floor Plan that is not a dynamic block.

I ran into a problem however when I went to edit the new dynamic block. When I went into the dynamic block editor all my walls had the triangle of death on them! None of them seemed to be cleaning up correctly. I have attached the dynamic block with the visibility states 'on top' of each other with hopes that someone can help me.

Why do the walls not clean up now when they did before I saved the dynamic block?

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block with Walls - Cleanup Problem

If the Walls in each of your options were originally drawn offset from one another, and are now on top of one another, I would hazard a guess as to say that is the problem. You now have multiple versions of with Walls intersecting and causing cleanup issues. AEC objects have never been officially greenlighted for use with Dynamic Blocks. I have never tried using them myself, but suspect that even though only one "scheme" is supposed to be visible at a time, that all of the Walls from every scheme are still trying to clean up with each other. Freezing a layer does not stop Wall cleanup; apparently neither does Dynamic Block visibility.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like a perfect use for Project Navigator to me. You should check it out.

Login to Give a bone

Do you have any good resources for using the Project Navigator in residential or production building? I have never used it - It seems a little overwhelming for residential use. But then again I haven't seen it in action.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

A simple solution is to add cleanup groups for each of your options.
    They will then not be trying to cleanup with each other.
    If you go into the Style Manager and RC on the Standard style, copy & paste you will get Standard (2) which could be a natural name for your options.

The PN can be a good tool but I think it's overkill for residential and have developed my own multi-level tools to keep it all in one file. But then I've never tried to do options in the one file. If I did try that in my system I would simply create another level and give it the same floor level, and change the cleanup group.

For the PN just search in Google. There are some good tutorials around. Or look for Mastering Architectural Dektop (old book) or Mastering Autocad Architecture by Paul Aubin. PN hasn;t changed much so an older copy would get you most of the way there. OOTB Help can tell you the differences.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by neje View Post
    A simple solution is to add cleanup groups for each of your options.
    They will then not be trying to cleanup with each other.
    If you go into the Style Manager and RC on the Standard style, copy & paste you will get Standard (2) which could be a natural name for your options.
    Well, over 5 years later I've finally been able to try this! The additional cleanup group for each option works great! Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

In addition to the additional C.Groups that Neje offered, you might want to look at a separate xref for each option instead of D.Blocks. They are somewhat "easier" go into a separate file and edit as needed and you could swap in & out for rendering, editing, etc. the various options. Say you have a second floor addition with options A,B,&C - as you work and complete one do a saveas to another file for the next option. In a placeholder file you xref in each floor and move Z to the proper height & location. That is somewhat in a nutshell what the P. Navigator does, but manually.