Thread: How to update arch. model in electrical Revit MEP job?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy How to update arch. model in electrical Revit MEP job?

Hi,
    my question is how to update arch. background in Revit MEP file.
    I am new to Revit MEP 2009, was using Autocad for last years.
    I a mworking on a Electrical job. Basically i have setup the electrical project in Revit MEP, linked 2 models from the architect, copy/monitored levels, grids. Enabled room bounding.
    At this stage i have our project almost complete, electrical symbols are in place. When i was puting in the symbols, they would not host to the linked model walls and ceilings, i had to copy/monitor all the walls. Yesterday architect sent me new updated models, there are quite some changes, lots of walls are moved. After i replaced the arch. models, and copy monitored them again, revit kept the previous old walls (from older model) and added new walls ( from new model) on top, the symbols are still hosted to the old models walls. Basically it looks very messy now, bunch of overlaping walls and symbols.
    Is there any way to fix it quickly? Or do I have to delete each old wall manually and rehost the symbol to new wall manually? Is there something i am doing wrong here? If you guys have any hints please help.
    Best Regards!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to update arch. model in electrical Revit MEP job?

i would not suggest copy/monitoring of walls. Your electrical fixtures should be face hosted rather than wall/ceiling hosted so they will attach to a linked model's walls. You may be able to rehost your fixtures to the new wall locations to avoid having to start from square one but really the problem of having to create new walls for each arch plan change is likely to persist throughout the project duration.

Login to Give a bone

It sounds as though you have two files linked in twice. You shouldn't have to delete anything, but you need to link in the files correctly. Is everyone in the project using the same Shared Coordinates? That could be an issue

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for quick responces!!!

moliva, is there any way to change the electrical families that are already in the project to surface mounted? Or do i have to recreate them from scratch?

escriveme - there are 2 models one for main load bearing walls and another with suites and partition walls and furniture. They are linked one time each, not twice for sure. I think the double walls come from copy monitoring walls from older model and newer model, the shared coordinates are the same, i linked both models to the same shared coordinate point.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

you would have to create new families. if it's a small enough job you may be fine w/ keeping it as is and continue to copy/monitor walls and ceilings so that you don't have to change out fixtures. Or, if you're early enough into the project it may make more sense to replace the families w/ face hosted or unhosted families.

Login to Give a bone

thanks alot for good advices moliva, i will think what to do, it is still in progress review stage.