Thread: Drafting Views vs Callouts. compare and contrast

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Drafting Views vs Callouts. compare and contrast

Hey, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts and logic is between their choices in using one of these two..

I have a floor plan for a building which will have a few retail bays. I'm doing the detailing on the bay fronts , and I'm feeling that the way the detailing should be set up is with callouts.

some of them have been set up as detail views. and I'm just tettering if I should go back and delete/recreate them as callouts.

I like the callouts more, becuase you can grab the back referencing data easier. where as with a detail view, it doesn't seem to show what sheet it came from......

care to share your thoughts on this ? thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drafting Views vs Callouts. compare and contrast

Your thread title mentions drafting views vs. callouts, while your post mentions detail views vs. callouts. Detail views are a type of callout, and are indeed still a model view, whereas drafting views have no relation to the model whatsoever.

So have you started out with drafting views or detail views?

I personally try to save drafting views for more "typical" details that aren't keyed anywhere specifically on the model views. For instance, door and window details, ADA details and elevations, typical site details, etc. Those are good candidates for drafting views.

If you have a specific detail condition, where you want to have it called out on a plan, section, or elevation; then I would use a callout. A callout can either be a floor plan, section, or elevation view (the view will be created under the respective category in the project browser) or it can be a detail view. Keep in mind that sometimes you can't reference a plan, section, or elevation callout while in a different view type, but you can always reference a detail view (or drafting view) from any view type. However, detail views don't give you as much view control as do the main plan, elevation, and section view types do.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Your thread title mentions drafting views vs. callouts, while your post mentions detail views vs. callouts. Detail views are a type of callout, and are indeed still a model view, whereas drafting views have no relation to the model whatsoever.

So have you started out with drafting views or detail views?
    sorry late night posting with not enough proof reading.

I was looking closer at how the views had been set up and it's actually all three. callouts, detail views and drafting views.

If anything I feel there should be some consistancy , all similar views and conditions , set up the same way.

good points, and It makes me feel that they should be call-outs.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by j_starko View Post
    sorry late night posting with not enough proof reading.

I was looking closer at how the views had been set up and it's actually all three. callouts, detail views and drafting views.

If anything I feel there should be some consistancy , all similar views and conditions , set up the same way.

good points, and It makes me feel that they should be call-outs.
    Drafting views are NOT live Model Callouts. They have Annotation "callouts" that reference them. Theres a HUGE difference.

What youre describing could be either a Floor Plan Callout, or a Detail View Callout, but in my personal opinion a Drafting View has no place in the discussion. Its just an unintelligent manually drafted view. We save them for the CYA details.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Callouts are still my favorite. recreated the views all as them.