See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Piping Systems & Pumps

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Piping Systems & Pumps

Let's talk about piping systems. Up until now, I've primarily dealt with HVAC systems (the air side) and am now looking into piping systems. I have created a little test project with two chillers, two cooling towers, two boilers, two air handlers, and two pumps for each of the systems. See attached image. I have all of the piping showing the correct flows, even with the flow factors, but what I'm a little unclear about is where the pumps fit into the systems. I currently have the following systems defined:

CWS - Condenser Water Supply (condenser water from the cooling tower to the chiller)
    CWR - Condenser Water Return (condenser water from the chiller to the cooling tower)
    CHWS - Chilled Water Supply (chilled water from the chiller to the cooling coil)
    CHWR - Chilled Water Return (chilled water from the cooling coil to the chiller)
    HHWS - Heating Hot Water Supply (hot water from the boiler to the heating coil)
    HHWR - Heating Hot Water Return (hot water from the heating coil to the boiler)

The connectors on the pump are set to "system", which from what I can tell means they inherit the system they are connected to. However, they are not actually part of the defined systems above. So, for example, if I click on a cooling tower and edit the CWS system, the pumps don't show up as being part of the system. If I click "add to system", and select a pump, I then have to select one of the two connectors. However, both connectors are part of the CWS system. So, based on this behavior, it appears to me that the pumps can't be added to one of the defined systems. That is fine because the systems function correctly, but in the Systems Browser, the pumps show up as "Unassigned" which, from everything I've ever heard about systems, is a no-no.

Sooooooo, they way I have it set up seems correct and makes sense to me, but I'm bothered by the fact that the pumps are listed as unassigned. Is this just the way it is, or am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Piping Systems & Pumps

I tested these types of setups exhaustively in 2009 (ugh) and 2010 (much better). I configured the pumps to "System" same as you did, but didn't find any additional benefit from assigning them to a specific system. I was also confused as to what connector on the pump to assign to the system (Connector 1? Connector 2? What was the difference?)

I tend to think that a pump family should stay neutral since it can belong to any number of systems. This might be one of the reasons that we have an allowance of elements that can stay "unassigned."

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have nightmares about meeting up with a revit ninja inside a revit garage.
    What a horrible place to be <shuddering>

Issues like that I leave unassigned. It's not worth the time if it doesn't effect the system.

I'm outta here.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    Ha ha... that's funny. Don't worry, the Revit Garage is a happy place

I won't lose any sleep over the unassigned pumps. Just want to make sure there isn't some method to the madness.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post

Issues like that I leave unassigned. It's not worth the time if it doesn't effect the system.

I'm outta here.
    hahahahaha, nice.

Login to Give a bone

Nice Post! I really appreciate that you have provided great information here. I always searching for this type of stuffs. This information will be very useful to me as well other who have no knowledge regarding to pipe system or about pumps.

Submersible Well Pumps

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Piping Systems & Pumps

We hear a lot about water conservation, so by now you are probably thinking that a power shower must mean using copious amounts of precious water every time you bathe. The high pressure will assist in eliminating staining and remove any mud on the patio timber deck.