Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Book Recommendations?

Login to Give a bone

Default 2011 Book Recommendations?

When I started learning Revit 2010 I went cover-to-cover though Revit Architecture 2010 No Exerience Required by Eric Wing. Aside from some errors that clearly indicated the editor did not know east from west, I thought it was an excellent book. We also have a copy of Mastering Revit Architecture 2010 by Paul Aubin that our intern has been going through that appears to have good information as well. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book for 2011 that is at least as good as these two that my business partner could read to help him get up-to-speed with the two of us as well as be a good resource for 2011 enhancements?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: 2011 Book Recommendations?

This looks like a good one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...=kinw_rke_tl_1

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2011 Book Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    I've read the 2010 version cover to cover (just finished in fact) and it has helped. I've been on the forums, reading blogs and trawling the help file so I happended to have come across most things by the time I got to them in the book but it does make sure that you don't miss anything. I've learned all sorts of advanced stuff and only just found out about 'show hidden lines' towards the end of the book which is an awesome tool! I wish that I spent more time on the book before exhausting other resources because most of the basics are there!

However, I'm still a Revit novice because I think that true value comes from experience and one on one communication. I just about know every tool there is but I'll only understand them through practice.

I would like some book recommendations on how buildings are put together. I get stuck in Revit most because I don't know how things go together. I can draw walls and floors but don't always know where to draw them.

Login to Give a bone

I have that book for 2010 and can say that, as a Revit beginner the book is not for beginners. It covers stuff that someone who has used Revit for awhile would understand but if you're just getting your feet on the ground some of the content is hard to follow.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Stop reading and start working/using it.

You don't see people reading books on how to ride bikes.
    There is just "so much" you can learn from books, and by "so much" i mean little practical information.

A book might help you get started as it will show you what the software can do, and when you hit a dead end you'll be able to at least point in the right direction. By no means will it teach you anything... practical.

Quote Originally Posted by brent.130528 View Post
    When I started learning Revit 2010 I went cover-to-cover though Revit Architecture 2010 No Exerience Required by Eric Wing. Aside from some errors that clearly indicated the editor did not know east from west, I thought it was an excellent book. We also have a copy of Mastering Revit Architecture 2010 by Paul Aubin that our intern has been going through that appears to have good information as well. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book for 2011 that is at least as good as these two that my business partner could read to help him get up-to-speed with the two of us as well as be a good resource for 2011 enhancements?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

It sure would be nice for someone to write (and maintain) a definitive guide to using Revit in architecture. Maybe there should be a wiki.
    When I started using Revit, I read the help files, and also picked up a book on Revit. But it really comes down to using the program when your back is against the wall.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sealander View Post
    It sure would be nice for someone to write (and maintain) a definitive guide to using Revit in architecture. Maybe there should be a wiki.
    When I started using Revit, I read the help files, and also picked up a book on Revit. But it really comes down to using the program when your back is against the wall.
    IMO, definitive guide and Revit shouldn't be in the same sentence. Revit is at best a moving target and the release schedule is to short to have anyone be able to ever get a handle on a definitive guide to the latest version. Trying to keep up is more like it

As someone else posted above, ya don't need no stinkin' book, just get into the program and start using it. That said, proper training by an expert doesn't hurt much...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by samov View Post
    Stop reading and start working/using it.

You don't see people reading books on how to ride bikes.
    There is just "so much" you can learn from books, and by "so much" i mean little practical information.

A book might help you get started as it will show you what the software can do, and when you hit a dead end you'll be able to at least point in the right direction. By no means will it teach you anything... practical.
    It would be naive to believe that reading alone could exhaustively enrich your understanding of any given subject. Reading can keep you on track and direct your experience making efficient use of your time and can steer you away from gaining bad habbits.

You're right, I don't see people reading books on how to ride bikes. What I do see is alot of dangerous riders who should have read books!

All things in equal measure can be a good thing. I would still recommend this book but rightly said, don't rely on it. Read and play, then you'll be fine!

You can stop reading now

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barrie.sharp View Post
    I would like some book recommendations on how buildings are put together. I get stuck in Revit most because I don't know how things go together. I can draw walls and floors but don't always know where to draw them.
    There are books by Ching, Architectural Graphic Standards, etc. Another source would be to go to a University bookstore where the University is providing a degree in Architecture.

My two cents worth....
    During my past 6 to 7 years in Revit, my ability as an Architect has certainly helped. Originally, my first project in Revit (a renovation project) was done without ANY training what so ever. This is in my own opinion the best way to learn a piece of complicated software. This is definitely a sink or swim type situation, although some people are not really wired for this scenario.

That said, training will shorten the learning cycle substantially, if you can find a trainer more advanced that yourself.

IMHO the best source of information is AUGI's forums, and Autodesk University. After 15 of these, I still consistently learn new things, and the indiviuals I've met there do become the best resource of all.

Login to Give a bone

My experience has me agreeing with the "just do it" crowd. I was part of a small group that had the fortune of being asked to learn Revit for the company and we were given our own office and no immediate dealines, just get in and learn. So we all starting diving into various areas and sharing what we were finding, good/bad/other. We were able to bring in a trainer for two weeks after we had been digging around for two weeks. Phil Read is the MAN!! Although we threw him for a loop since he was expecting a group who hadn't used the software at all. He ended up zipping thru the general training program in about two days and from there we were tackling much more complex tasks and find work arounds for things that Revit didn't do or like. As Scott said, training is good if you can find somebody who know more than you. We were very fortunate to have such a great trainer and the chance to take full advantage of his knowledge.
    That was roughly eight years ago but Thanks again Phil

fyi, I'm not sure if he still does training, I know he has moved on to new gigs since then.
    Last edited by eric.piotrowicz; 2010-06-14 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast