Thread: What do you do when there is no ceiling grid?

Login to Give a bone

Question What do you do when there is no ceiling grid?

As I understand it, since we as MEP engineers will typically work with a linked architectural model, our best bets when creating families are creating them as either Face Hosted or Unhosted.

I'm not crazy about the Unhosted elements: ceiling heights vary so you must keep changing offset (elevation) levels for placement.

With face hosted families, placing elements on the linked ceiling grid is no problem, but what do you do in areas of the building where there is no ceiling grid? You are essentially trying to attach the element to the hard ceilng (bottom of floor above), which from what I've seen so far does not register as a face.

My feeling is that I should probably create a workplane along the hard ceiling. My concern is that it would conflict with the ceiling grid where it exists, causing elements to be placed above the grid. An alternate idea is having our designers place a grid along the plane of the hard ceiling, and hiding the bogus grid.

I'm interested in how others have handled this.

Thanks,

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What do you do when there is no ceiling grid?

We've tried a few things but haven't come up w/ a best method of yet. I could see having separate unhosted families which may be almost identical to the hosted family so that you can schedule separate for different mounting options. Then you just set the elevation for those areas where there is no ceiling.

Another option would be to make a reference plane (in section view) in whichever areas don't have ceilings at some elevation above the floor. then when you place a hosted terminal, set to "Place on Work Plane" and choose "Pick a Plane"...then choose the reference plane in your section view. It will ask you to choose a view to open, choose floor plan...and place your terminal using "Place on Work Plane". I think it does make a difference which direction the reference plane is made as to whether the diffuser shows up right side up or upside down. I think that works....and you can do it over the entire floor or room by room.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    We've tried a few things but haven't come up w/ a best method of yet. I could see having separate unhosted families which may be almost identical to the hosted family so that you can schedule separate for different mounting options. Then you just set the elevation for those areas where there is no ceiling.
    That's what we do. It works great, especially for those schematic design sets where the architect hasn't added ceilings yet because they don't know what type, how high, if there will be any soffits, etc...

When they do add ceilings, just window (and filter) the lights and set their height accordingly. Just set it and forget it!

Matt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    Another option would be to make a reference plane (in section view) in whichever areas don't have ceilings at some elevation above the floor. then when you place a hosted terminal, set to "Place on Work Plane" and choose "Pick a Plane"...then choose the reference plane in your section view. It will ask you to choose a view to open, choose floor plan...and place your terminal using "Place on Work Plane". I think it does make a difference which direction the reference plane is made as to whether the diffuser shows up right side up or upside down. I think that works....and you can do it over the entire floor or room by room.
    This is what I've done in the past. If you are working on a large model it may get tedious but it is the quickest fix I have found to this point. For smoke detectors I would place them down the corridor to the floor then select them all at once and pick the corresponding work place. This way, you don't have to do it element by elemen, as stated above.