Thread: Door style question

Login to Give a bone

Default Door style question

Can you make a door style where the door and frame are not the same height? We have a door we use on toilet stalls where the hollow metal frame head is at 7'-4" but the door is only 4'-8" and set 1'-4" off the floor. I've been playing around with door styles and DW assembly styles, but can not seem to make the frame and door sized independantly.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door style question

It can be done; I have done it for a changing room door. Turn off the Door Panel component and replace it with custom blocks for the Elevation and Model Display Representations. Unfortunately, the custom block will not rotate to the Door Opening setting like the Door Panel component, but I guess you can not have everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thanks! That looks exactly like what I am trying to do. Will the doors schedule the correct size when using a custom block?

Login to Give a bone

If I recall, the opening size in the schedule table was that of the door frame (these particular Doors had a regular hollow metal frame. An elevation of the Door (which we include for all Doors, and which are manually drawn) would have showed the panel with dotted lines indicating the inner frame opening, with dimensions and notes indicating that the door panel was smaller than the frame opening. If the schedule itself made any note of the reduced panel size, it would have been as a manually added note in the remarks column, not anything generated by an automatic property in ACA.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another way to do it would be to add an opening and then add a door style with the correct size and vertical offset in the same location as the opening. The door could then be shown in various opening positions and be scheduled with the correct width/height etc.

Example attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If using a block to replace the aec door, you can place points on the defpoints layer the gap distance above and below in your block definition. And then when inserting the block into the style select stretch to height option and it will use the points as an indication of the block height. This is good for 3D but not for accurate dim'ing. The further away from the original block, the more distorted.

Also I thought that if you insert block as a 'leaf' then it will rotate along with where the door is.
    (haven't checked it though).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    It can be done; I have done it for a changing room door. Turn off the Door Panel component and replace it with custom blocks for the Elevation and Model Display Representations. Unfortunately, the custom block will not rotate to the Door Opening setting like the Door Panel component, but I guess you can not have everything.
    Just checked it David and if attached as a leaf componant it will rotate (don't forget to untick the override swing box). But maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here.

I know that for our local sliding doors which are outside the frame (because the walls are brick) that they don't slide! in PLAN view because there is no way of attaching a block as a panel in PLAN view But they will swing.

Login to Give a bone

Either that was not an option in the ancient release in which I did those Doors, or I was not aware of that option. I was also replacing the swing and panel plan graphics with a custom block, to indicate that the Door could swing in or out (it was on pivots, rather than hinges). Getting the 3D model even partly right was just me taking some of my own time to see if it could be done; the plan graphics were all that ever showed of the Door Objects in the construction documents.