Thread: Revit user struggling with AutoCAD

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit user struggling with AutoCAD

Ok, lets get this out of the way. Revit is awesome. Suffice to say, I have stopped using AutoCAD and haven't used it seriously since AC2009 with the new ribbon.

Unfortunately, I have been sent a dwg which I have been asked to amend. Fine I said, just a few changes. However, ACA is crawling along with the crosshair jumping around and the hatch command taking longer than a 'high' setting render!!! My machine can do 3D like its nothing. Jump back to 2D and !

Anyone else had issues with ACA grinding along. My spec is high enough but ACA is still slow.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit user struggling with AutoCAD

I have had similar issues. Try turning off the preselection highlighting options in ACA. Also, freeze any hatches in the drawing.
    This usually gets past this problem and lets you draw more or less normally.

I don't know what causes this but I know it is a real pain in the butt when it happens.

I have also encountered issues with 3D polylines or drawings created in LDD.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by houston.cad View Post
    I have had similar issues. Try turning off the preselection highlighting options in ACA. Also, freeze any hatches in the drawing.
    This usually gets past this problem and lets you draw more or less normally.

I don't know what causes this but I know it is a real pain in the butt when it happens.

I have also encountered issues with 3D polylines or drawings created in LDD.
    Like I say, haven't used it for over a year now and it seems to have gone backwards. I could work faster on older machines, you know, the ones with one core and 256MB Ram!!!

I had turned the selection preview off but I didn't try freezing hatches. I used the isolate objects tool to limit what was on screen but that possibly made things worse. Even the offset tool was struggling. I tried to purge, audit, even flagellate. Hope Autodesk make the problems go away.... by which I mean AutoCAD

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Revit user struggling with AutoCAD

Save as the ACA file.

Use the "flatten command" in Acad.

Wblock out just the part you need to change.

Make changes, insert block back into Acad.

Or, import the block into Revit, make changes, export back to cad..........etc.

LOL

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barrie.sharp View Post

I had turned the selection preview off but I didn't try freezing hatches. I used the isolate objects tool to limit what was on screen but that possibly made things worse. Even the offset tool was struggling. I tried to purge, audit, even flagellate. Hope Autodesk make the problems go away.... by which I mean AutoCAD
    Hatches and certain fonts within blocks seem to be the worst culprit I have found.
    I wish I know why this happens. I have had some problems with this in the past but it seems so much worse now.

Login to Give a bone

Somewhat glad it isn't just me and its making me thankfull that Revit makes light work of bigger and better things. I'm shocked that AC can't at least sniff out performance hogs so that we can deal with it. If a font is causing trouble, we should be able to swap it out. Why does Revit cope better with hatches? Sometimes I think the only thing the Autodesk products have in common is the price tag. I thought that Audit took care of nasties. How can these issues be dealt with?