Thread: Upgrade older versions of Revit files?

Login to Give a bone

Default Upgrade older versions of Revit files?

How are other firms/companies handeling upgrading older Revit projects that have been completed and built and the Revit file has been archived? Should these files be upgraded with every year with each new release if have the potential to be needed for future additions / renovations or just needs to be accessed? How many past version can the newest Revit upgrade; i.e. will 2011 upgrade an 8.0 version or earlier?
    I am curious how others are handling this process for projects in older Revit versions.

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Upgrade older versions of Revit files?

It's probably not a bad idea to go through archived files and save them in curent versions. I've heard some rumours that soon the versions of Revit and AutoCAD current at the time (future) will only be able to read back a certain number of versions.

Login to Give a bone

This is an instance where you really need to source "some rumors." Someone from Autodesk? An AEC publication? Some random stuff you read in a user forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I've heard some rumours that soon the versions of Revit and AutoCAD current at the time (future) will only be able to read back a certain number of versions.

Login to Give a bone

In my time at Autodesk I have seen only 1 file that was from an older version of Revit that could not be upgraded. It was like from version 2 or 3 and was trying to promote to Version 8 or 9. I had to install older versions of Revit and "baby step" it to the current version.

If you ran into this situation Product Support could probably help you promote the file to the current version if necessary.

Speaking from my experience as a CAD/BIM manager I don't think I would take the time to promote all of my archived projects. Current and expected to be needed again projects(building prototypes etc...)...yes I would do those but I would cross the bridge of file upgrade when needed on older archived projects and call in product support if I found one causing trouble.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    In my time at Autodesk I have seen only 1 file that was from an older version of Revit that could not be upgraded. It was like from version 2 or 3 and was trying to promote to Version 8 or 9. I had to install older versions of Revit and "baby step" it to the current version.

If you ran into this situation Product Support could probably help you promote the file to the current version if necessary.

Speaking from my experience as a CAD/BIM manager I don't think I would take the time to promote all of my archived projects. Current and expected to be needed again projects(building prototypes etc...)...yes I would do those but I would cross the bridge of file upgrade when needed on older archived projects and call in product support if I found one causing trouble.
    I agree. Taking in to account the size of the models, and all of the Linked Models to them, its an astronomical undertaking to upgrade all projects on the "what if" of needing them again.

We deal with it on an instance basis. If a former projects model is needed again, we deal with it then, particularly because its probably going to go through some clean up at that time, as well. But, some projects will simply never get touched again, so doing all of the archived projects on the "what if," is a big time investment...

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Upgrade older versions of Revit files?

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    This is an instance where you really need to source "some rumors." Someone from Autodesk? An AEC publication? Some random stuff you read in a user forum?
    Can't say....That's why it's a "rumour"...LOL

Login to Give a bone

Now I'm really confused - is there a subtle subtext, wink, wink, that I'm suppose to be picking up on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Can't say....That's why it's a "rumour"...LOL

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    Now I'm really confused - is there a subtle subtext, wink, wink, that I'm suppose to be picking up on?
    I think what he means is that he heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from... as in, no definitive "source" for the rumor and therefore just a rumor.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Upgrade older versions of Revit files?

Quote Originally Posted by eric.piotrowicz View Post
    I think what he means is that he heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from... as in, no definitive "source" for the rumor and therefore just a rumor.
    Presactly! LOL