Thread: Size of Single Line Wye Pipe Fitting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Size of Single Line Wye Pipe Fitting

Here is a difficult question about the size of single line wye fittings.

I attached two wyes that are straight out of the box from Revit
    M_Wye 45 Deg - PVC - Sch 40 – DWV
    M_Wye Combination with 8th Bend - PVC - Sch 40 – DWV

I know that annotative single line pipe fittings/accessories are suppose to be controlled by the "Pipe Fitting Annotaion Size" found under Mechanical Settings. I am having trouble understanding how this affects the size of the wye fitting symbols, so below is my scenario

-"Pipe Fitting Annottaion Size" is set to 3
    -View scale is set to 1:100
    -Both wye's have the “Use Annottaion Scale” checked under element properties
    -Both wye’s are 100mm in the view

If you have the Detail Level set to Medium, you will notice that these two single line wye symbols are not even close to being the same size, even though they are close in size when the Detail Level is set to Fine. Also, the symbol will size with the annotation scale as well as the fitting size...

I will call the “M_Wye 45 Deg - PVC - Sch 40 – DWV” (Wye A) and the other (Wye B)
    -(Wye A) is 298.5mm in Fine Detail, and roughly 486.4mm in single line “Medium Detail”
    -(Wye B) is 355.2mm in Fine Detail, and roughly 200.2mm when in single line “Medium Detail”

You will notice that (Wye A) symbol will get bigger when the annotation scale increases or when the fitting size increases, but (Wye B) symbol will increase in size when the annotation scale is increased, and get smaller when the fitting size increases, this all makes no sense to me.

In AutoCAD, Initial Symbol size at 1:1 x Text Height x Annotation Scale gives you the size of a symbol in model space.

In Revit, there are a couple more things to consider:
    Pipe Fitting Annotaion Size
    Initial Symbol Line Length
    Annotation Scale
    Fitting Size

With all of this information, I am trying to figure out the equation that Revit uses to calculate the size of the symbol when inserted into the view. I would also like to know if there is a way to make the symbol only size according to the annotation scale and not the size of the fitting (the same way that valve symbols size)??

Thanks
    Last edited by i2mikee; 2010-06-20 at 10:24 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Size of Single Line Wye Pipe Fitting

We "fixed" the sizing issue by creating our symbols as generic annotations and linking them into the actual fitting families. This is a bit cumbersome, but it provides us the consistent look we want regardless of fitting size.

Login to Give a bone

Hey gabecottam, I can see generic annotations working for fittings such as (Tee's and elbows...) but I can't see it working for wye's. The problem I can see happening with wye's, is that when the symbol gets bigger or smaller with the annotation scale, the 45°wye part will no longer align with the actual pipe connection location... So I guess the big question is did you use generic annotations for wye's? If you did, can you tell me if you had any success/issues, and do you mind posting a sample.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We've been using the Wye with 8th bend and it seems to "scale" the annotations around that leg so that it always appears correct.