Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new family type for Door Hardware...

I would love to see a new family type for door hardware/accessories. It could be hosted by door families, so that you can place it on a door, and it would stay with that door. This would let you, say, switch from one type of panic bar on a nice blumcraft door to one of a different design and have it update in 3D w/o having to make several door families...

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar

Default Re: new family type for Door Hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    I would love to see a new family type for door hardware/accessories. It could be hosted by door families, so that you can place it on a door, and it would stay with that door. This would let you, say, switch from one type of panic bar on a nice blumcraft door to one of a different design and have it update in 3D w/o having to make several door families...
    ooohhh Very good one, jeffery!!!
    Chris
    SOM | New York

All AUGI, all the time

It would also be nice if you could assemble hardware sets which could be applied to specific doors as a unit. The sets should also be tied to schedule. Some offices have separate hardware schedules and some integrate them into the door schedules. Both options should be available.

We're one of those offices. We do a lot of interiors work, and as such, deal with lots of door hardware. If those items, like closers, signage, panic bars, etc. could be door-hosted and schedule-able then that would rock.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

I agree, very good idea Jeffrey!

And just guess what I'm working on right now...

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar

Could this be extended to windows to?
    ventilation units
    sings
    muntins
    Glass opaque / non opaque

AUGI Addict

Sorry to be the voice of disagreement , but I dont like the idea of trying to have options in either the model or in families, I like separate files . I think it would just add another level of complexity to things.

I agree we need families for families though - (generic models that will whatever you ask them too in other words!) but I think they ought to be generic and user named rather than having loads of different specific types, like door ironmongery, window parts, etc etc.....

sorry!! I hate it when somebody disagrees with my wishes!!! ops:

I think Jeffrey's wish, which is a great idea (sorry Martin), can be partly accommodated at present by nesting generica in the door family, but this is bit of a kludge and probably involves using shared parameters. It would be really elegant if it were possible for a family to host another family and then to nominate whether the hosted families attributes were then scheduled in any schedule that the host appeared in.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    you gotta be kidding.. I think Martin's got a point.. though I'm not against options at all. If you ever tried making stuff like door/window families with nested families.. I get scared even thinking about adding more complexity to something that's shaking allready.
    I'd say
    1 - family creation isn't that easy right now, let's first make that better.. it's too ambigues.
    2 - nested families won't schedule so.. nice to have hinges and locks 'n stuff but.. what's the use if you can't pull out that info quick 'n easy (you'd have to manually -re-attach- parameters.. so if you go from 2 to three hinges you'd have a problem and stuff like that). So let's add 'nested families in schedules' to the wishlist first (though I've put it on the development team's formal requests list before the summer allready.. together with sweep output. Let's hope it is granted for 6)

~ for those that follow the discussions here.. this was something I needed to do for a customer-system. From your reactions I gather you think it would be great to have too huh? So that is (part of) why I need the API so bad.. if Revit won't make it - we will make it for ourselves, that's our thought

way ahead by miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast