Thread: Coverting wall hosted to face hosted, or make wall hosted work with linked models

Login to Give a bone

Default Coverting wall hosted to face hosted, or make wall hosted work with linked models

I have a few of blocks that were made as wall hosted, now because they wont work on a linked revit model (even though i dont see why they should not work, or maybe i have setup something wrong?) i need to either get them to work or change them to be face hosted. what is the best way to go about doing this?

I have tryed copying and pasting over to the face hosted template and then rotating to suit, but then i get problems with the model still displaying when i untick it from plan/rcp and the annotation symbol wont display.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Coverting wall hosted to face hosted, or make wall hosted work with linked models

Quote Originally Posted by mooingchicken View Post
    I have a few of blocks that were made as wall hosted, now because they wont work on a linked revit model (even though i dont see why they should not work, or maybe i have setup something wrong?) i need to either get them to work or change them to be face hosted. what is the best way to go about doing this?

I have tryed copying and pasting over to the face hosted template and then rotating to suit, but then i get problems with the model still displaying when i untick it from plan/rcp and the annotation symbol wont display.
    Nothing is wrong with the way you've set things up, its just the way Revit works: it just doesn't "recognize" a wall thru a linked file, for family insertion, that is...

As far as the best way to go from a wall based to a face based familly, I can't help you there, I've never tried it.

Hopefully, some people around will be able to help you on that part.

GL.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Coverting wall hosted to face hosted, or make wall hosted work with linked models

Need more info on family, but as a quick offering to answer, no. There is no way to turn or change hosting type. It would be nice, we usually dont host, or do face bases, definetly not wall, as we work with Links. Need your file to see why certain elements arent turning on in diff. views.

Login to Give a bone

Have you turned room bounding on for the linked model?
    If not select the liked model.
    Element Properties
    Edit
    Check the Room Bounding Box.
    Last edited by Hurls; 2010-06-23 at 12:49 AM. Reason: More Info

Login to Give a bone

Yes room bounding is ticked, this makes no diffrence, only to spaces ect

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
    Have you turned room bounding on for the linked model?
    If not select the liked model.
    Element Properties
    Edit
    Check the Room Bounding Box.
    What does this have to do with trying to create a face based family from a wall based one?

Login to Give a bone

He was trying to help with the making walls appear as walls on linked models.

Anyway i sorted out the display issues i had and have changed all the family over that i needed to.

Seems there should be a better solution then having to copy paste the models and essentially re-make each family. Be great if u could just change the parameters of the host from wall to face in the properties

Login to Give a bone

I have not really tested this extensively but there is a new trick available in 2011.

2011 now has the ability to copy monitor MEP families from a linked file (similar to column grids).

When you copy monitor a hosted family, limited to lights, mech terminal devices (diffusers, etc.), equipment and plumb fixtures, they "convert" to non-hosted. (Thank you ADSK). A really quick way to convert families.

Place hosted family(s) in a model. Will need some walls and ceilings.
    Link the original model into another.
    Copy Monitor the family(s) desired.
    Save to library as non-hosted.

Hope it helps. Like I said not heavily tested yet.

Login to Give a bone

This is awesome. Changed a wall based element to face based perfectly.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbecker View Post
    they "convert" to non-hosted
    looks like they just "convert" to face hosted instead of non-hosted, good to know there's another way to convert besides API

i don't think you can convert to non-hosted, even w/ API, hope i'm wrong